dying wood question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

dying wood question

Postby Chris Richards » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 am

I'm thinking of doing a guitar with somewhat of a "lute" look made from alternate strips of mahogany and maple and I wanted to put much thinner strips of wood between the strips, getting a contrast I can see may be difficult, a light wood wouldn't work because of the maple so I was going to go dark, something like ebony but I didn't want to go to that expense. I was hoping to use maple and dye it black but since the back is going to be shaped I'm unsure whether the dye will penetrate enough to not get carved away.

Has anyone got any ideas/alternatives, I really just want say 2mm thick different coloured strips of wood between the mahogany and maple..

Thanks
Chris
Chris Richards

Re: dying wood question

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am

You could try some Wenge. Or black walnut.
Or for a different effect try padauk, or purpleheart.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Postby Barry Daniels » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

You can buy dyed veneer from Luthiers Mercantile.

I tried pressure cooking veneer strips with dye but it only penetrated a short distance.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Postby Chris Richards » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks for the help, yes I suspected that dying wood would be a waste of time, I'll try and hunt down some cheap wood as Gordon suggests..
Chris Richards

Postby Mark Wybierala » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

You could always make a 1/4" dyed cap using maple and strips of dyed wooden binding. LMI has a range of colors.
Mark Wybierala

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars