All spruce guitars?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Lau

All spruce guitars?

Post by Matthew Lau »

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but do you think this will work?

It's been done before (the Spruce Goose, Boucher. Kinnard), but I've never played one in person.
I'd like to know what your thoughts are, as I'd love an excuse to buy a bunch of tops from our sponsors at Alaskan Specialty Woods.

-Matt
Chuck Tweedy

Re: All spruce guitars?

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

So Matthew, don't you think you should build a standard guitar before jumping into an oddity??

Anyhow, I did hear an all spruce body steel string acoustic at the 2008 GAL convention. It had the punchy attack of a flamenco built with cypress.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Dan Pennington

Post by Dan Pennington »

There's an all spruce build-along over on the Luthier Forum that is just starting:
http://www.luthierforum.com/index.php?/ ... ntry118587

I am part of an all cedar build-along that started last fall. Working on the finish now.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Finished an all-cedar (except for the walnut neck stripe, fingerboard and bridge) soprano uke a couple of weeks ago.

ImageImage

The sides were very reluctant to bend evenly, impossible over a pipe and just manageable using a light bulb bender. I experimented with spruce once and found it even harder to bend. And carving the neck was just horrible - cedar doesn't like being carved into inside curves (heel and peghead transition).

Softwoods like cedar and spruce are also a pain when constructing because they show even the slightest knock.

It was an interesting experiment but I won't be making another. Tops and backs, OK, but not sides and necks.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Chuck,
I've built a couple conventional guitars. They're just too ugly to post. :oops:
Give me a decade or three to catch up to you.

Chris,
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Joe Hart

Post by Joe Hart »

I built an all bear claw sitka spruce jumbo steel string last year and it turned out great. Neck, back, sides and top were all highly figured bear claw from Maurice Roy.. It was an absolute canon...
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

Joe Hart wrote:I built an all bear claw sitka spruce jumbo steel string last year and it turned out great. Neck, back, sides and top were all highly figured bear claw from Maurice Roy.. It was an absolute canon...
Joe, have you got any photos?

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”