Does anyone know of a font similar to the Martin headstock font?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
DavidKistner

Does anyone know of a font similar to the Martin headstock font?

Post by DavidKistner »

I really like the "old look" of the font Martin uses on their headstocks. I'd like to find something close to this to use on headstock of the guitar I'm building. I Googled this but didn't have any luck. Anyone know of one?
DavidKistner

Re: Does anyone know of a font similar to the Martin headstock font?

Post by DavidKistner »

I've spent the last few days looking at countless fonts. None of them really capture that antique guitar look very well. They either look like Old English at one extreme, or are too refined (too feminine for me) at the other extreme. I'm trying to build an 000 guitar that has the look and feel of an old Martin from the 1930's. I'm not looking for an exact copy, just something that captures the "look and feel" of an old time acoustic guitar. This is only my 3rd guitar (my 1st attempt at an acoustic) and I know it's crazy but the headstock decal is a "big thing" with me. Putting that name on the headstock doesn't add squat to the sound, but it has an emotional impact with me.

I feel like an idiot not being able to find anything.....there are about a zillion fonts our there, but right now I feel like my eyeballs are gonna drop out looking at 'em.

:-(
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I recommend that you download Inkscape( http://inkscape.downloadasaurus.com/ ) and make your own. There is no way you will find anything that looks like the "CFM", the "&" or the "C" in Co. from the Martin headstock.
Inkscape is a free vector graphics drawing program - it's really great stuff.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
DavidKistner

Post by DavidKistner »

Thanks Chuck. I'll check it out. But, just so you know, I'm not putting the CF Martin on my guitar. It will be a custom name. Actually, I'm gonna name it "Isaiah" and I know that's a weird guitar name. But I like it :-) .....my kids tell me "Dad, you're weird" sometimes, so I might as well have a weird name on the new guitar.

I just wanted an "old time" looking font that had the flavor of the Martin font. I think Martin's label is pretty cool looking.
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

I drew my own logo (my last name) because a stock font just wasn't going to do. I've had labels and business cards printed, a stamp made, and other things, and sometimes, when I turn things over to a graphic arts company, they try to just use "the closest font" instead of my logo. Imagine!! Imagine them thinking that, after all the time I spent designing, drawing and re-drawing my logo that I would accept "the closest font"! That I wouldn't notice the difference! Imagine!!!
What I'm saying here is; you'll have to draw it yourself, or "farm it out" to someone with calligraphy/graphic art/whatever experience because a font just isn't going to do it.
DavidKistner

Post by DavidKistner »

OK, John & Chuck, you've convinced me to create my own logo. Thanks (very much) for pointing me in the right direction. I'll get started on it tonight.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

I think everyone is half right :D
You will have to modify some letters, particularly the first and last, but you can probably find a font that is close enough for some of the letters.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

True, the font of "artin" looks like you can find an analogous font.
Not that you will "artin", probably "saia" for you. :-)
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Chuck Tweedy wrote:I recommend that you download Inkscape( http://inkscape.downloadasaurus.com/ ) and make your own. There is no way you will find anything that looks like the "CFM", the "&" or the "C" in Co. from the Martin headstock.
Inkscape is a free vector graphics drawing program - it's really great stuff.
Hello Chuck;
Have you used Inkscape from the link above? The reason I ask is I downloaded and attempted to install. Got a couple of blank splash screens and now can't find the program anywhere on the drive. Seemed a bit suspicious to me or perhaps it's a work in progress? I'll post more if I find anything more. Hopefully I'm just being a bit paranoid.
John
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

John, I use it in Ubuntu Linux - not Win-duh's - so I don't know about installation difficulties there.

It is not a virus, it is a real, and very useful, program. (Its "legit")
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Thanks for the reassurance Chuck. Figured I was ok, but wanted to ask jus' to be sure...
John

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”