Honeycomb Tops

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Max Dickinson

Honeycomb Tops

Post by Max Dickinson »

I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of more information about honeycomb tops. In a post I made before there was mention of a honeycomb use in laminates, I'm wondering if there's more.
Matthew Lau

Re: Honeycomb Tops

Post by Matthew Lau »

Are you talking Nomex? I think the Gore and Gilet book is the way to go.
Max Dickinson

Post by Max Dickinson »

i think so, is there any other uses beside that?
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Max,
search "Nomex" in the libraries here. lots of information.
for example:
https://www.mimf.com/library/Randy_Reyn ... -2006.html

https://www.mimf.com/library/A_write_up ... -2005.html

there's 20 years of great information sitting in the basement here if you use the library's search feature
Chuck Morrison

Post by Chuck Morrison »

I visited Randy Reynolds around 2008 and saw his setup for building doubletops. It took me several years to get around to building one myself, partly because I had to tool up to be able to do it. His info in the archives is a good place to start. A vacuum press is definitely a must. I tried some other methods without success.

If you are looking for how to build one, I'd suggest looking on Robbie O'brien's youtube channel for the two videos with Alan Dunwell on building a doubletop. I found it very helpful when building my first doubletops.
46+ years playing/building/learning
Enrico Schiaffella

Post by Enrico Schiaffella »

I have the Gore Gilet book. They describe lattice bracing but not nomex, IIRC. Randy Reynolds stuff is very useful. There is also an article by him on American lutherie. Also, you might want to take a look at John Dick website.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I think there must be a few posts by Alain Bieber about this. I recall one of his experiments where discussed clues. One issue was foaming.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”