Shipping guitars safely

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Maurice Elefant

Shipping guitars safely

Post by Maurice Elefant »

Who is the preferred shipper and packing method to ship guitars from west to east coast USA. I have 2 acoustics and one electric. Stew Mac has what looks like a good system of boxes and packing. I have inquired with UPS and Fed Ex and they will not insure against damage if they do not pack the guitars themselves. A bit of a dilemma since the Stew Mac system looks to be superior to anything UPS or FED EX would do but then they won't cover in the event of damage to the instruments.
Bob Gramann

Re: Shipping guitars safely

Post by Bob Gramann »

I have used the StewMac system several times. So far, no problems. But, I never had any problems before I started using it either. Who told you that UPS and FEDEX required packing themselves? That may be true at the retail storefronts which are usually franchise businesses—packing is their business. I have accounts with UPS and FEDEX. My UPS account requires that I drop off packages valued over $1000 at a UPS terminal, not a franchise store. UPS offices aren’t set up to package things. The one I shipped FEDEX, I dropped off at Staples, but it wasn’t my label so, I don’t know if there were any requirements. You might want to call UPS or FEDEX directly and set up an account. You get a bit of a discount over the retail rate (which is further marked up at the storefront franchise). The last time I priced a shipment, FEDEX Ground was a couple of dollars cheaper (out of $50) than UPS.

I usually try to time my shipments so a guitar doesn’t sit in a stationary hot truck over the weekend.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I shipped two electric instruments from CA to CO last year via USPS, there was no problem insuring them (at that time), and the price was in the same ballpark as UPS. Each guitar was packed in its case, and the case was packed in a cardboard box, surrounded by several inches of bubble wrap on all sides. I shipped them at the same time to the same address. One got there in the expected 10 days or so, the other's tracking stayed in infinite transit. After another week I filed an inquiry with the PO (no small feat in itself) and they started looking for it. It was delivered withing a week after, though the PO kept sending me emails for months saying they were still looking for it. They finally sent me a final email after 6 months or so saying it was lost (even though the tracking showed it had been delivered.)

So I don't know that I can really recommend the USPS, though this was probably just an uncommon fluke. And if I'd had to file an insurance claim, who knows how that would have gone.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Maurice Elefant

It was a local UPS Store, probably a franchise that said they have shipped guitars in the past and have a special box and unless they packed it the insurance would not cover damage. A local Fed Ex store said the same. I'll call them directly and get it straightened out.
Maurice Elefant

Just spoke with UPS at their customer service 800 number and was told to go to their main hub in my town and would be able to insure for damage, lost, etc.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

And one other relevant thing: I buy insurance from UPS because it’s pretty cheap and there’s no question on who has to pay, but my theft and damage policy for my business also covers (with a deductible) my instruments when they’re being shipped.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”