Cutting purfling after gluing

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Barry Daniels

Re: Cutting purfling after gluing

Post by Barry Daniels »

Instead of gluing the support to the purfling, use a jig like this. I made it a few years ago for this exact purpose. It also works on trimming bent sides. The large wood dowel is part of a closet rod pole and it is glued to the plywood base.
Attachments
IMG_1784Resized.jpg
IMG_1785Resized.jpg
MIMF Staff
Enrico Schiaffella

Post by Enrico Schiaffella »

Hi Barry, yes this is a great idea! Thanks
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

If necessary you can put a little nail sticking up next to the blade slot for a micro-fence.
MIMF Staff
Enrico Schiaffella

Yes, I think that is important. In fact today I cut two more slices using a fence and it cut very well. Thickness was very homogeneous. I am pretty satisfied with the results. I still want to try another idea tomorrow and see if it works. It is a device that theoretically should help me thickness it. I will let you know how it turns out. But I definitely want to try the waist support jig that you showed.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

hi Enrico,
It looks like you found a way to get the job done.
Here is a purfling I made some years back. I wanted it to match part of the rosette. It was fairly wide and I didn't want to build it flat and then try to bend it, so I built it on the mold and then cut the strips. Where I wanted to glue in some abalone pieces I used Styrofoam as a place holder.
Attachments
molded purfling.jpg
Enrico Schiaffella

You did a clean job here. The end result is very pleasing I would say. Also, the spruce is wonderful!
Enrico Schiaffella

Ok, last chapter. I used this jig for thicknessing. I just run it through the thickness sander. It is very fast, easy and precise. I am happy with the results. So at the end I don’t know if my procedure of bending and gluing first and Then cutting is better than the other versions. I am pretty sure that I will keep using it. I prefer it. Rather than gluing many thin strips you work with few. Cutting it is not that bad and with my system, thicknessing is really a breeze. But you have to build few jigs. But I only think it’s worth if you make rather complex purflings. Otherwise there is no reason to go all through this.
Attachments
3F5ABCA6-2117-4932-BFD8-561855A60BB0.jpeg
47D39A74-1C9F-45A7-A4F0-391DD30E4369.jpeg

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”