12 strings electric bridge.... Where to buy!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
François Robert

12 strings electric bridge.... Where to buy!

Post by François Robert »

Hi guys
I'm lookin for a 12 strings electric bridge for a Strat style guitar... Where should I buy one (preferably in Canada!)
Thanks!
F
Freeman Keller

Re: 12 strings electric bridge.... Where to buy!

Post by Freeman Keller »

I know that Warmoth sell the Gotoh 12 string bridge and there should be no reason they can't ship that to Canada and I don't think there is a tariff on them.

http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-12-String-C707.aspx

Allparts also has them (including one for $220 bucks, but those are US dollars, your exchange might be better LOL)

https://www.allparts.com/7-and-12-string-bridges

You might also ask in the MIMF electric forum, this is the acoustic one. However most of the folks that read one will also read the other.
Brendon Foley

Post by Brendon Foley »

You can buy Chinese-made electric bridges and tailpieces off Ebay very cheaply, though the ones I have seen are Gibson-style. I'm sure with a bit of searching you'd find a fender-style 12-string bridge. Of course this brings with it the question of whether the quality is the same as that made in, say, Japan. The answer is that the quality isn't the same, but at one-fifth the price of a name brand, I wouldn't complain. Yes, you are supporting sweat-shop labor, that's true. But when you're on a budget, like I am, I can't always afford to lash out on expensive hardware. Chinese-made stuff does the job fairly well and it gives you the freedom to experiment, knowing that you're not wasting money on hardware for instruments that may be a bit experimental. Just my two cents worth.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

You more than likely know this already, but be careful.
The string spread is wider on the 12 string bridges, and if you are using a guitar originally designed as a 6 string, the strings can be too wide for your neck.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

I had a friend in the 60's that had a Stray converted to 9 strings and just doubled the GB&E
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

It looks like Francois is not returning but one more option is a Rickenbacker bridge with some sort of tail piece. Google can find them.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”