side port placement options...

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ryan Mazzocco

side port placement options...

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I'm working with a customer on a design for a build and I am needing a little advice on the matter of the side port. I normally place the side port where most do, above the waist just right before the curve of the shoulder, or maybe even a little into the curve. He wants a side port, but he also wants on board preamp and tuner electronics, which also normally go in that spot, at least the set up he wants does. What is a good alternative placement for the side port? I'm thinking somewhere about half way between the waist and the widest point of the lower bout. I don't suppose there is really a "wrong or right" here, but I'm interested to see what some of you have done. Thanks
Clay Schaeffer

Re: side port placement options...

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Why not place the preamp and tuner electronics on the shoulder near the neck? It might require a modification of the end block (maybe wrap it around the electronics to reinforce the upper bout) but wouldn't put things too far out of the way.
Alan Carruth

Re: side port placement options...

Post by Alan Carruth »

I usually put the port at or just above the wide point of the upper bout. This would still leave enough real estate above the waist to get in the pre-amp.

The experiments I've done show that the further the port is from the main sound hole the more it alters the tone of the guitar. It also seems that the prime use of the port is as a monitor, shooting out high frequencies, so you want it where the player can look into (and hear) it.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”