fractured very tall bridge

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Mike Ryan

Re: fractured very tall bridge

Post by Mike Ryan »

trying all kinds of things, am on my 3rd steamer for the steam needle from stewmac. Jiffy steamer didn't work, mccullough steamers is too powerful, found a mr coffee at goodwill with steamer I am trying now. Neck got steamed with the mccullough steamer but then the tubing blew up. Neck didn't budge. There is a threaded stud top and bottom thru the heel block and I don't know how that is attached to the heel. I've got some narrow ossilating tool blades coming to make a gap at the end of the tenon.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I never thought the steaming approach would work very well for your guitar because there is no gap for the steam to move around and expose much of the neck mortise. You small hole sort of bottles up the steam limiting penetration.

The presence of the threaded stud is very concerning. It likely binds the joint together in one direction or another. Can you remove it? Post a photo?
MIMF Staff
Mike Ryan

Post by Mike Ryan »

Barry,
you're right. Having a heck of a time steaming through the holes . Not budging. I could try to plunge cut with dremel multitool at the end of the tenon. Can't figure out how to get a purchase on those threaded studs to push on them either.
Mike Ryan

Post by Mike Ryan »

So, success at finally getting the neck apart. Yay!! Found an espresso maker steamer at goodwill. bought the stewmac needle. Had to cut down on the end of the tenon to give me a space to steam, plugged the truss rod hole through the heel block, plugged the truss rod hole. Put a block over the joint with a hole in it. Espresso steamer did a lot better when full of water. Steamed it one for 2 minutes, no dice, once for 5 minutes, was then able to wiggle and pull and it came off without incident I hope. Still have some tenon left for stability. Not any real damage so far. The top over the heel block released a little.
Going to get the truss rod from lmi, or allied. The old rod was completely frozen and rusted.
Now I have to try to make a wedge to get the neck angle to come down and continue the adventure.........
Attachments
20180630_155207.jpg
20180630_155158.jpg
20180630_154600.jpg
20180630_151638.jpg
Mike Ryan

Post by Mike Ryan »

Don't know if this is kosher here but here is a link to my steaming apparatus in action as video.
Don't know if this is kosher here but h ... in action.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”