Compound head block?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bob Gramann

Compound head block?

Post by Bob Gramann »

I usually match the headblock wood to the neck wood (from the same tree when I can). I'm getting ready to construct a classical guitar with a walnut neck and find that I don't have a block of seasoned walnut large enough to be a one-piece headblock. So I want to glue a 3/4" piece to the bottom of the headblock (this piece will also be carved to make the Spanish foot) to make the headblock tall enough. It will be a bolt-on neck. Will this cause me any problems in the long future? (I plan to use 315g hot hide glue).

I am constructing the guitar with all-USA sourced woods. If the compound walnut block won't work, I will either need to use a cherry block with the walnut neck or a cherry block and neck, or I will have to get some more walnut and wait until it acclimates to my shop.
Randolph Rhett

Re: Compound head block?

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I've never before heard of needing to match the neckblock to the neck wood. I am assuming there are some benefits, but I don't believe for a moment that it will cause you any trouble assuming both are from stable well seasoned stock.
Bryan Bear

Re: Compound head block?

Post by Bryan Bear »

I'm far from an expert but I agree with Randolph on both counts. I think any way you go will be fine. I have used stacked up heel blocks before even using spruce with 5 layers of alternating grain direction stacked up (bolt on neck) with no problem.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”