My#2 Mahogany 000

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bob Orr

My#2 Mahogany 000

Post by Bob Orr »

Plan: Stew mac 000. Changed bracing pattern to add A frame bracing in upper bout, mortised into head block. Added scoop cutaway and arm bevel.
Back sides and top: mahogany/sapele. Cannot be more specific as it it is reclaimed timber from Bristol Timber Recycling Project. Width was limited hence 4 piece top and back.
Purfling: BWB
Binding: oak I cut myself
Fingerboard, bridge, head stock plate and back strap: EIR
Inlay, MOP on head stock, Abalone sound hole and son’s initials at 12th fret. All hand cut except MOP stars which were purchased
Finish: shellac sealer, Zpoxy grain fill then TruOil
Tuners: Wilkinson open back
Strung with a set of Martin light gauge strings
This is my second guitar (the first was the black walnut resonator I posted a while back) and this one was built for my son Mike. I have attached a picture of the bracing so you can see the changes I made. You will note that two of the finger braces are missing in this photo! Fortunately I spotted this before I attached the top! It has a low action and a wide 48mm nut. Plays well all up the neck with no buzzes or rattles. For this I have to thank Hesh for posting his method of setting the neck, flattening the fret board, cutting the nut and saddle etc. It worked a treat first time. Thank you very much Hesh and everyone else who post here. It sounds good to me. Loud and even across all the strings with a full base and nice clear highs, which surprised me somewhat given the mahogany top. I am happy with the tight joint at the neck with no gaps under the fret board extension and the neat mitres on the purfling.
A.JPG
B.JPG
C.JPG
D.JPG
E.JPG
Would be happy to answer any queries. Cheers, Bob
Bob Orr

Re: mY#2 mAHOGANY 000

Post by Bob Orr »

SOME MORE PICS
F.JPG
G.JPG
H.JPG
I.JPG
J.JPG
Bob Orr

Re: mY#2 mAHOGANY 000

Post by Bob Orr »

and a few more.
K.JPG
L.JPG
M.JPG
Bob Francis

Re: My#2 Mahogany 000

Post by Bob Francis »

I really like that cutaway!
Andy Bounsall

Post by Andy Bounsall »

I'm not a huge fan of the scoop cutaway, but that's just personal preference and not a comment on your work. You did a super job and that's a very nice looking 2nd guitar. Are you itching to start number 3?
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Very nice...even though Hesh doesn't post here. He however is a friend of mine. :)
I bet it sounds pretty good!
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Thanks, yes number three already in the planning stage and this one sounds good and only been strung up for a day or so.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”