StewMac tools

Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Postby Matthew Lau » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Mimf,

This is a noob question, but I haven't built in a long time.
I'll be making some port orford cypress ukuleles and flamenco guitars, and I'd like to use an ebony centerstrip and bindings.

Any tips on avoiding bleeding into the wood?
I'm not sure if I need to just use shellac prior to binding, but not sure what to do with the backboard binding (to avoid leaching).

I'd tried to build a guitar with Camatillo Rosewood, but found the dark areas would leach into the pale sapwood and create a muddy purple tint.
Matthew Lau

Re: Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Postby Clay Schaeffer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:24 am

Ebonies are less prone to bleeding than the rosewoods. Usually to minimize bleeding I will "mist" on the first couple of coats of finish and allow them to dry before spraying any wet coats.
Clay Schaeffer

Postby Bob Howell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:21 am

I am dealing with this with rosewood bindings and maple perfling. A can of spray shellac proved the solution, as I am using shellac as my finish. Dusted lightly several times; it seals off staining when dry. I was told they use vinyl sanding sealer for lacquer finish.
Bob Howell

Postby Matthew Lau » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the tip!
Matthew Lau

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars