What mechanics for a Selmer guitar?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Alain Bieber

What mechanics for a Selmer guitar?

Post by Alain Bieber »

I wonder what kind of mechanics I might choose for a Selmer-like guitar. I have already bought a golden tail piece (Stewart Mc Donald), so I have to go for a golden (or eventually brass) pair of mechanics. I see Schaller is doing something cheap enough. I wonder if some other makers provide the same sort of product, for slotted head, in the same price range, or a little above??
Mark Swanson

Re: What mechanics for a Selmer guitar?

Post by Mark Swanson »

:P For us on this side of the pond, I think you mean tuners, or machine heads, or tuning machines, or tuning pegs, right?
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Two places to look here in the US: Stewmac.com and Djangobooks.com. Both sell mechanics (called "tuners" in the US) for steel string, slotted head. Grover individual tuners are very good and relatively inexpensive. Schaller are excellent of course and besides their open gear model used by Dupont and other good builders, they are also making an accurate replica of the old SB covered tuners used on Henri Selmer guitars. Other good options are the Waverly tuners, both individual and 3 on a plate. Gotah makes good 3 on a plate tuners as well, used on the better Saga Gitans. Miller and Dupont sell expensive reproductions of the SB tuners that are drop dead gorgeous, but really high dollar ($500+). Most all are available with gold or nickel finish. Waverly in particular has a variety of button materials and shapes. Most all 3-on-a-plate tuners have the same 35mm spacing. Anyhow, lots of options, in the US at least.

All these manufacturers are selling internationally, so for sources in France, you can probably check the websites for any of the manufacturers above and look at their "where to buy" links. You might look at Djangostation.com to see what they may have. You could also ask on the french speaking forums at manoucheries.com and benoit-de-bretagne.com
Paco Jimenez

Post by Paco Jimenez »

Check Schaller Classic Deluxe
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Thanks to all of you. Sorry for that bad translation. After several years of MIMF, I should have a better level <g>.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

I think Francois Charle carries the Miller mecaniques. When I visited his shop about 6 yrs. ago those were recommended to me by M. Charle and they were a bit cheaper than Craig suggests, but still a bit dear. I bought them anyway and am happy with them--I see he still lists them at 210 Euros; since you're located in Paris, you won't have to pay shipping, but I don't know whether or not that price includes VAT.
Craig Bumgarner

Bill is correct on the price. I was thinking of the Dupont DRs which I remember as $550, but actually, Djangobooks has them for $350. Millers were about $300 last time I looked. The $550 ones are the Jean Barault Busato replicas which are really gorgeous. The Schaller closed cover tuners are very similar to the old SBs for less than $200, EXCEPT the finish is very bright and new looking, which to me it sort of defeats the purpose.
Paco Jimenez

Post by Paco Jimenez »

The Schallers are very good and cost a fraction of the DRs. If you don't mind the look of a 100% matching repro and accurate performance is your main goal, then go for them. They work great.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Thanks Paco,
They look like an excellent solution for me. I am puzzled however by one question. The description says they are to be installed with a 10 mm pierce (precisely they say they are 9.8 mm diameter). Is their diameter really 9.8 mm, or do they have a smaller diameter- like most of the steel string tuners I have seen- and the corresponding adjustments pieces?.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Alain,
Some of the closed back classical Schaller tuners use bushings on the inboard end of the rollers. I don't know if this model is made that way.
Craig Bumgarner

If you really want to drool, have a look at this thread.

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 11&t=66764

Some of these tuners run over $1,000. They are mostly for classical guitars, but are basically just like what one would use for slot head steel string except for the diameter and material used in the rollers. Rogers, at least, will supply them set up for steel string. Some are a little over the top for a Selmer style guitar, but in general, WOW! Someday, if I can build a guitar that justifies a set of these, I'd love to.

CB
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

At some point I think tuners are priced for their "jewelry" value, rather than for any significant improvement in performance. But who wouldn't rather have a Breguet than a Casio.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Clay, when more than around 150 $, I guess the symbolic value of a brand of tuners is the only thing that justifies the price. We have the very old debate on luxury. Voltaire argued against Rousseau, successfully if I judge along modern values.
He had a simple approach. I summarize: Voltaire thought that luxury pursuit was a natural feature of humanity, he stated that it was bad for little states.. and good for big ones. We still live in big states.. apparently.
I read this morning a good paper on Damian Hirst (the British... artist?) production methods and pricing policies. Manchester Guardian on line. Not without relation with the "extreme snobbery" existing at the very edge of this microscopic guitar world. But we still have some progress to make... to rejoin the modern artistic fierld. <G>.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

when more than around 150 $, I guess the symbolic value of a brand of tuners is the only thing that justifies the price
I agree. Normally I wouldn't have splurged, but the Millers are a nice souvenir of Paris.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

A very welcome splurge Bill, indeed. To be against luxury in a country with many luxury activities would be a bit paradoxical. I quoted the Damian Hirst paper (in the Guardian on line) because it analyzed very well an extreme form of luxury, much more complex, with big speculative sides, consciously organized by very small groups like "art experts" of all kinds. Not far from Ponzi schemes. Here we have the real insanity, I feel.
Distinct from rather reasonable Voltaire's position, and yours.<g>
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I also do not find fault with someone buying a set of expensive tuners, any more than I would for someone buying a set of diamond earrings. The Roger's tuners Craig linked to are beautifully made and of the finest materials. Compared to the prices paid for "Art" they are positively "utilitarian". Even the price paid for a Stradivarius is just a drop in the bucket compared to what is paid for "Art".
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

I received the Schaller tuners copied or inspired from Selmer originals. For a few Euros above 100, they seem functionally quite correct. The look is OK, without reaching the super level of course. But for a first trip in the Jazz guitar field, I believe it will be quite enough. Thnaks again to Paco, the German provider is efficient.
You have to do the boring with a 10 mm diameter hole. The outside bushing is imbedded in the tuner and they provide a small inside bushing. OK for me.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

I have my strings installed since two days now. Very positive feeling about the way my basic and affordable replicas of original Selmer, by Schaller, are working. Great stuff. A bit excessive shiny look but I do not care too much for a first step in the field.
I had them from Thomann (D), good service too. First time I see tuners delivered with a few extra little screws! A thank to Paco.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Alain, have you looked at the Rubner machines? We don't get them here in the US but I have seen several pictures of various models and they are usually brass, simple in design, and well made. I'm not sure if they offer anything specifically for the Gypsy jazz style guitars but I think any effort spent looking might be rewarded.
Alain Bieber

Post by Alain Bieber »

Yes Michael, I have Rubner tuners on a good dozen of my classicals. They provide basically good stuff in all kind of styles and prices. Very nice family business.
I do not think they cope for the Selmer fan's needs however.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”