Kif Wood's Adjustable neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
John Fabel

Kif Wood's Adjustable neck

Post by John Fabel »

A while back I recall seeing an intriguing set of posts by Kif Wood regarding how he constructs his adjustable neck joint. I'm about to start a resonator project, and found myself thinking about Kif's approach to heel block/ neck interface.
However, I can't seem to find the thread, even after a good search effort. Anyone remember this thread?
Stay inspired!
JF
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: Kif Wood's Adjustable neck

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I had a really good thread going with Clay Schaeffer about this subject probably a year or so ago. I'm sure it didn't make it into the archives though. There was also talk about the Staufer design and the Doolin design. Was that the same discussion?
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

If those discussions were on the old forum, we're still working on processing all of them to be moved here to the new forum. Hopefully it will be completed soon.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Kif Wood

Post by Kif Wood »

Hi John, been off the forum for a while, but just caught this. Hopefully Charlie will be able to do the transfers and the thread info will be available.

However, please feel free to ask any questions. I shall log in when possible...almost overloaded with work at the moment!!

Alternatively, I sent Matthew Lau a USB 'Stick' with all the photos of the system. If he has copied the data you are welcome to it...with his blessing of course.

For a Dobro style resonator, the bolt-on system works very well with the very simple addition that, if you use the height/action adjuster, you can either play the frets OR , with a quick turn of the screw, play it as a Lap Steel! Don't forget that a wooden resonator is essentially a 'speaker cabinet' and not an acoustic guitar!!

Good luck!
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Just send me an email, and I'd be happy to forward the information.
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

I remembering reading that post as well. Seems like Chris Paulick also posted a thread about an adjustable neck too. At any rate, I've got 2 reso's in progress now and set to begin on a 3rd. I'd be very interested to see that info also if that's possible. Thanks.
eddiemcrae01@windstream.net
email address hidden - please private message Eddie for his contact details
John Fabel

Post by John Fabel »

Kif -- many thanks for your thoughtful reply-- apologies for delayed response as I've been out of town. Indeed one of the reasons for adjustable neck is as you mentioned -- potential to go from fretted to slide ... ditto to your points wrt "speaker cabinet" thinking -- the "soundboard" will be 5- ply Baltic birch, and have been considering applying some speaker cab design strategies as well, not for volume so much as for quality of bottom end. Hey, I have this idea -- if I could just figure out a way to get the strings to generate an electrical signal, I could send that by wire to an electronic amplifier and then through an actual speaker cabinet :-)
Cheers, JF
John Fabel

Post by John Fabel »

Thanks, mathew -- just sent you a pm (apologies -- wasn't sure I had correct e-mail)
Cheers, JF
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

No worries.

I'm kinda confused about what you mean by speaker design ideas though.
Btw, would it be bad for me to post a picture of Kif's joint up?
John Fabel

Post by John Fabel »

Matthew, re speaker cabinet design thoughts; 2 pieces to this... One is the notion that since the reso cone is intended as THE resonating component of the instrument, mount it to something relatively non-resonant. Similar to the smallman paradigm in classical guitar construction, or banjo's for that matter. Extending the speaker driver/ speaker cab analogy a bit further' I've wondered if one could derive the equivalent of T/S parameters for the reso-cone/string system, and apply those to body volume, sound hole dimension, etc. Just the musings of an overactive imagination.
JF

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”