Tuners for 12 string

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Denvir

Tuners for 12 string

Post by Steve Denvir »

I just got my first commission for a 12 string. Any suggestions regarding tuners?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Bob Gramann

Re: Tuners for 12 string

Post by Bob Gramann »

Many years ago when I built my first and only 12-string, I used the Gotoh mini-tuners. I was bery satisfied.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I've used mini-Grovers with Martin spacing and think the washers are ugly (tuners work fine however). StewMac golden era repro are OK for a slot head - for a while they were about the only thing available. Holes need to be drilled very carefully.

fwiw, I made simple but very effective drilling jigs for both of those guitars. Here it the one for the paddle head

The key stock lines up with the outside edge of the headstock, clamp it on and drill the holes. Obviously it wouldn't work for a curved headstock. If you are going to do something like that you probably should lay it out carefully - it is real easy to have strings fouling tuner posts.

Here's the slot head

Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I'm going to add one more comment about 12 strings, Steve, that has nothing to do with tuners., Design them to fit available cases if possible - both of mine required custom (expensive, long delivery) cases and Leo Kottke has a wonderful story on a dvd about cutting the end off a headstock to get it to fit a case....
Steve Denvir

Post by Steve Denvir »

Thanks Freeman, much appreciated.

Steve
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

All have made good points, but I'm jumping in anyway. My first "good" guitar was a 12-string and it was a chore to restring it. Not as bad as a Rickenbacker or d35-12, but still a chore. If I were to build a 12 string, I'd consider a machine with safety posts, like Fender used. This used to mean Fender repros (left and right hand) but these are probably not aesthetically adequate for a benchmade guitar. I did a quick look at the Kluson catalog from WD and there are some pretty nice machines with these slotted posts. These will no doubt be much better than those old Klusons which begged to be replaced.

Another consideration is weight. I thought Guild was pretty cool when they started putting Schallers on their 12s until I found the balance/weight unpleasant and saw lots of broken pegheads. The mini machines mitigate this to some extent.

Just my 12 cents.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I've used the Stewmac 'Golden Age' machines, and they work well. I'm no enamored of the look on a new gutiar, though. I keep meaning to bug them about coming out with Waverly 12-string sets, using the same post spacing.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

" If I were to build a 12 string, I'd consider a machine with safety posts, like Fender used. This used to mean Fender repros (left and right hand)"

I used those on a travel harp guitar. I liked the clean appearance and light weight. The closer spacing helps reduce the length of the peghead needed.
Steve Denvir

Post by Steve Denvir »

Thanks Joshua, not sure I understand the value of slotted tuners.

Steve
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I have been frustrated with the selection of 12 string tuners. There just isn't much out there. I would like good six-on-a-strip tuners, for paddle head pegheads. And on top of that, I'd like there to be a matching six string set. This would allow for mixing and matching for guitars with less than 12 strings, such as the nine-strings that I build.
I have used the Waverly clones sold by Guitar Fetish. They work pretty well for 12 strings.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

The slotted posts have holes down the center of the post. You cut the string a bit beyond the machine, stick the end in the hole and wrap. It's fast, clean and works well. And the newer machines of this type are much improved over the "vintage" ones.

Google "Kluson slotted machine heads" and you'll find some examples.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”