StewMac tools

Anyone ever make Gibson L-O flat-top?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Anyone ever make Gibson L-O flat-top?

Postby Glenn Ohman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 am

Trying to figure out what kind of guitar to make next. They seem a little quirky. In other words, an appealing build.

Plans I am thinking about buying:
http://www.lmii.com/products/media-gifts-more/plans/plans-steel-string/1432-plan-20s-gibson-l-o-guitar-12-fret-to-body/flypage-noimage

I'll be playing around with some of the details, e.g. a slotted head stock.

Glenn
Glenn Ohman

Re: Anyone ever make Gibson L-O flat-top?

Postby Randolph Rhett » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:36 pm

I never make flat out copies, but I have made four roughly based on this body shape and size. I love them as a player, and tweaked each one. The final version that I made had 13 frets to the body and a double x brace. Then I was satisfied and moved on. Great size/sound/playability. Surprised they aren't more common. Not as loud as a larger bodied guitar, but every bit as sweet sounding.
Randolph Rhett

Postby Matthew Lau » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Try contacting John Evans.

He's pretty much focused on the L-O as his signature model.
He's tried a bunch of woods and loves the various configurations.
Matthew Lau

Postby Gilbert Fredrickson » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 pm

They're fine guitars for what they are. I used those plans to make a sort of mini jumbo at 14 1/4" across the lower bout and a 24.75" scale length. I use the L-00 bracing. Famous people love it. I want to make another just like the plan ...and another with X bracing again ...probably another out of Maple to push the limits of it's "cranky" character. I don't think I'd use a rosewood body. Mahogany and Sitka work well.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars