StewMac tools

Harmony-Silvertone Woods Question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Harmony-Silvertone Woods Question

Postby Alan Peterson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:18 am

Seeing my message on old Harmony guitars in the archtop forum, a buddy gave me a 1960s vintage Silvertone acoustic -- basically the same as the old Harmony "Stella" flattop cowboy jobbies -- with a badly separated and cracked back. Its too bent up and split to try and glue down again, so I was just going to replace it with a piece of 1/8" instrument grade birch ply.

In knifing off the old damaged back, I see it was actually a solid piece of wood and not a ply. For a cheap guitar, circa 1964, seeing solid woods was a bit of a surprise.

Anyone know what kind of solids they would have used back then, and where to find an affordable piece today? I'm still going with the ply but I'd sure like to know.
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Alan Peterson

Re: Harmony-Silvertone Woods Question

Postby Barry Daniels » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am

They made them from various woods but birch is fairly common. By the way, where do you get "instrument grade birch ply"?
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Postby Alan Peterson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Barry Daniels wrote:Where do you get "instrument grade birch ply"?

Its the same as "marine grade", just prettier. :D
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Alan Peterson

Postby David King » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:24 pm

My Stella has mahogany back and sides.
David King

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars