Curing a low E saddle volume issue

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jonathan Conder

Curing a low E saddle volume issue

Post by Jonathan Conder »

I have a customer having some slight issues with volume balance; this is a re-work from previous repairpersons' attempt to fix it without success. The first thing I tried was shimming the saddle, as the slot's too wide, that took the volume from being too high to being a bit lower on the low E, but at least some progress. I know my options to be to make a new saddle, check the string pin and mounting hole, placement of the transducer lead wires and relative flatness of the existing saddle's underside; what am I overlooking? The playing action is good, height-wise, and the compensation is correct.
Bob Gramann

Re: Curing a low E saddle volume issue

Post by Bob Gramann »

Assuming that you're dealing with an undersaddle pickup, worry about whether the bottom of the saddle slot is flat.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

There is also the distinct possibility of a problem within the element.

If the issue is the fit of the saddle to the bottom of the slot you can drill holes between the strings and cut from the bottom edge of the saddle into the holes. This will allow the saddle to flex more easily and conform to any slight irregularities in the fit. The saddle does need to be reasonably loose in the slot so it can move up and down with the string vibrations. I tried to find a pic of this treatment for a saddle on the internet but came up empty. I thought Fishman sold them but have not found them.
David King

Post by David King »

You can also cut the saddle up into single string segments and then glue the segments back together using RTV or silicone rubber as a grout. Wrap it in a layer of cellophane and stuff it all back into the bridge slot with light string tension to hold the pieces down while it dries. First I'd mill the bottom of the saddle slot flat. This fixes 90% of the imbalance problems but it's not easy to do without a good jig.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”