String height on 34" scale acoustic bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Justin Bretz

String height on 34" scale acoustic bass

Post by Justin Bretz »

I am just wrapping up my first guitar for a client (a 34" scale acoustic bass). The problem I am having is setting the saddle for the correct string height. I have built 6 strings and understand the 12th fret to bottom of string measurements for setting string height, but am not sure about measurements for an acoustic bass. The web has only been anecdotal at best and of no help thus far. Setting string height "high enough to prevent buzzing but low enough to play comfortably" just doesn't do it. Hopefully someone out there has an answer. Thanks!
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: String height on 34" scale acoustic bass

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum!
Erik Hokanson

Post by Erik Hokanson »

This seems pretty straightforward. I dont know how anyone else would do it, but: make nut so its right, then take aluminum yardstick and lay it on nut so it extends to the bridge and shim it up somehow so its about right (little high) at the 12th fret. Make saddle that height and work down from there. When you get it working right, intonate.
Id like to know if this is correct. It makes sense to me.
Len McIntosh

Post by Len McIntosh »

Justin
I found a video on utube (bass guitar setup) it wss for an electric but really helped. My problem was that when i set the neck my straight edge was .125 above the bridge but that was not enough I think this was becaus my top bracing was too light i used 6 string x bracing.
She is playable (great fun) but will have to reset the neck as action is too high (at the body) Im currently just letting it age a bit will keep you posted.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”