No more bridge pins

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Len McIntosh

No more bridge pins

Post by Len McIntosh »

I recently completed my first bass acoustic. The bridge pins were a huge speed bump, couldn't find any quickly, bought six end pins but oversized the holes, al in all things were going downhill fast. First off had to make a new bridge, and then the lightbulb!
Why not just drill a small hole for each string just slightly bigger than the string diameter, these bass strings are fat, I then slipped a small washer over the string, the washer hole was smaller than the string ball, fed the string through from inside and the washer stops the ball on the bridge plate.
Result was positive, compared acoustics with another bass and did not discern any shortcomings.
Tuning up to pitch was a dream, not turn, press the pin, turn press the pin etc,
My next regular guitar will employ this, if I'm not satisfied I can increase the hole diameter and install pins, but I'm betting it will be ok.
Im currently shopping for the perfect washer, really thin, brass, may consider making from plastic (cut up a credit card).
Love to have your thoughts.
Len Mcintosh
Clay Schaeffer

Re: No more bridge pins

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Sounds like a workable solution for a bass, as most bass players I know don't change or break their strings too often. For a guitar I think feeding the strings through from the soundhole would be a PITA.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Why not skip the washers, the bridge plate should be able to handle those string balls (if you make it that way...).
Steve Rolig

Post by Steve Rolig »

It would be a PITA to change only one string for sure. You would almost have t change all of them at the same time.
If a person was gigging could be a show stopper.
Dick (DT) Trottier

Post by Dick (DT) Trottier »

Hi Len,
If you're thinking washers maybe you could just epoxy some brass shim stock to the bridge plate and drill though it. Perfect alignment and no small washers to loose.
Good luck...
Doug Shaker

Post by Doug Shaker »

Why not just use a pinless bridge design? Do a Google image search on "pinless guitar bridge" and there are
loads of examples.
-Doug Shaker

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”