Peg head repair question.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
George Dunham

Peg head repair question.

Post by George Dunham »

Because I build, all my friends now think I repair too! So here is a repair question. I have a friend with a 40 year old Washburn D28 that has a crack between the A and D tuner on the peg head. I do not know if the crack runs all the way through to the back of the peg head or to the treble side of the peg head. He is 700 miles away, I will ask for pictures. He was told that his guitar is now dead and to toss it away. I don't think it is fatal but I thought I would bring the question here, and see where it goes. Thx
Rodger Knox

Re: Peg head repair question.

Post by Rodger Knox »

I suspect that in can be repaired, but the cost of the repair done by a professional will be greater than the value of the guitar.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Oh I don't know about that. It sounds like a very simple repair, if I might guess without seeing it. Peghead cracks glue up very easily.
The guitar is probably not 40 years old either.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
George Dunham

Post by George Dunham »

Looks like putting a little pressure on it to slightly open it up and applying either hide glue or thin CA to penetrate fully into the crack and releasing pressure with a little clamping if possible might be all that is needed. I will try to fill in the details before suggesting.
I remember the guitar from high school circa 1975. He tells me that it is a Washburn D-28 copy. He also loves it and believes it to be a very fine guitar. I will not argue with that. And he has no money for a luthier repair. I will suggest the simple repair he can attempt by himself as long as he is clear on it. If he can ship it to me, I will be happy to do it for him as a learning experience. I am hoping to see some pictures later today.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

If the crack is recent it should glue up well, but if it has been open for months or worse yet, years, it may pose more difficulty, especially if any foreign substance has been introduced. (Pledge, beer, sweat, blood, bug spray, BBQ sauce, etc.)

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”