Strings

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Atkinson

Strings

Post by Matthew Atkinson »

Do heavier strings put more tension on a guitar and, if so, why? Also, if so, is it a significant amout between "light" gauge and "medium" gauge? What should I expect to observe as a result, if any?
-Matt
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Strings

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Well, mathematically the frequency of a vibrating string is (1/(2 * length)) * sqrt (tension/mass). So if you increase the mass (weight) of the string, the tension must go up in order to keep it at the same pitch.

Here's a nice doc from D'Addario which shows the difference in tensions for all their different string sets: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
Freeman Keller

Re: Strings

Post by Freeman Keller »

The D'Addario pdf's are very helpful, particularly when building mixed string sets (for altered tunings, for example). There are a couple of good on line string tension calculators, but I find this page very helpful for evaluating gross changes in string gauges and tunings

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... ng-Tension

One of the things that I find interesting is that lights at concert, mediums at D# and "heavies" at D all have about the same tension. I also find the section on 12 strings very helpful (I own 3 of the things and play in all kinds of altered tunings).

What should you expect in going from lights to mediums? About 12 percent increase in tension - will be a little harder to fret and bend, might have a little more volume because of the added drive to the top. Some necks might see a hair more relief, but usually not with one step in gauge. Nut slots might be a tiny bit tighter - again, most guitars can take one step. On a lightly braced guitar the top might rotate a smige more - there could be a long term change in neck angle and top belly (one of the reasons people argue that 12 strings should be strung lightly and/or down tuned). If you were on the ragged edge of buzzing with lights it might clear up with mediums. If a guitar was specifically designed for lights it is possible that the warranty would be affected.

Your fingers will probably tell the difference, your guitar may or may not.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”