24"×3"×4" Neck Blanks.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

24"×3"×4" Neck Blanks.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Anyone ever get two twelve fret necks out of these smaller blanks? I did a layout drawing and It looks possible.
Ed Gerber

Re: 24"×3"×4" Neck Blanks.

Post by Ed Gerber »

Yes, I just did one the other day. I drew out the neck and heel as a solid piece, with one pointing up and the other down. Then I used the bandsaw to cut out the two necks and used the center piece for the headstock via scarf joint. There was even enough material left over for other purposes.

If you drill a hole at each of the heel / neck corners, you will save more material than doing a long curve with the bandsaw.

Ed
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I would make a template and layout the necks on the wood. Depending on the angle (9-10 degrees?), thickness, and length of the peghead you might squeak by to make a one piece neck.
Gilbert Fredrickson

One neck is for a 24.75 L-0. The other neck is for a 610mm scale parlor. I have the plans so I can do a template.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Yup, fits like a glove. Thanks for the encouragement.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”