Software for Performers

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Andrew Porter

Software for Performers

Post by Andrew Porter »

Not sure if this is the right venue but I figure it will have the best chance of been seen here.

I'm looking for an android, windows or linux apps for performers. In particular one that can scroll words and chords during a performance. I've been told OnSong for the iPad would do this but I haven't ventured in to the Apple world though Garage Band is tempting

I'd also be interested in what other music software others are using. I currently use g-String and Audacity. Several years ago I tried an app that would analyze and dissect mp3's for melody notes and chords. The promise was good but the performance wasn't quite there at the time. I have heard of software that could read standard music notation (after scanning?) and generate a sound file.

Anyway I would like to get up to date on the state of music SW.

Thanks - Andrew
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Software for Performers

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Check out MobileSheets for Android/Windows 10: https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

MuseScore is a nice composition program that runs on most all platforms: https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/
Dave Meyrick

Post by Dave Meyrick »

Not sure if it is the sort of thing you are after but I find Guitar Pro very good for learning pieces. It provides the tab and the notes and will play the piece back as it is written using a (not great) sound synthesiser. The powerful thing being that you can slow it down and loop small phrases.

There is a big collection of pieces which people have tabbed for this on the web.

Guitar Pro is a bit expensive but there are other similar programs for free such as Tux Guitar.

Dave
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Everything depends on what you are looking for, so please elaborate.
You can break software down into (at least) three catagories:
For live performance, including playing background tracks
For practicing and learning songs
Or for recording music.

What are you going to use it for? If I can dump an opinion on you, when I go see live music, most of the time I don't like to see an iPad or something that the musician needs to depend upon and for the most part I don't think the audience does either. Hendrix did not have an iPad on his mic stand at Woodstock, and the Beatles didn't read charts on music stands in Let It Be either. If you are going to learn to perform live for an audience, commit to memory and then let your emotion rule the performance.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Thanks for the replies.

Charlie and Dave, I'll check out mobilesheets and guitarpro. Thanks.

I came across another product, SongBook, which looks interesting. It's multi-platform also.

Mark, I'm curious about all three categories, though my immediate need is for sort of digital fake book. I agree knowing your music is the ideal. That takes practice which takes time. My wife and I are raising our two and eight year old grandsons. Time is at a premium. If I'm lucky, I get together with a friend once a week to pick some tunes. I rarely have a chance to touch a guitar any other time. My memory is not what it used to be. Right now I use crib notes on the backs of old business cards. I thought something on an android would be much more convenient.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

iReal is good backing software for learning and playing songs. A lot cheaper than Band-in-Box. Like BIB, there are literally thousands of songs out there already written down fake book style. Only chord changes though. The melody lines are up to you to learn the old fashioned way. I use it for practicing lines. Pretty decent sounds, not at all robotic.

You can play it on an iPad and mute whatever you don't need. For example you can watch the chord changes and have a drum and bassist only backing you.

Return to “Jam Session”