StewMac tools

Modifying a Wittner perfection peg?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Modifying a Wittner perfection peg?

Postby Matthew Lau » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Dear MIMF,

I'm using cello perfection pegs on my next build (acoustic bass guitar).
I like the feel and look of the tuners, but want to cut the tip off (so it'll fit inside the guitar case).

Can I do it? Or would I be destroying the peg?
Matthew Lau

Re: Modifying a Wittner perfection peg?

Postby Jim McConkey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

I really like the Wittner tuners and have used them several times, but have never cut them off. However, Wittner offers a lot of advice on installation here:
http://www.wittner-gmbh.de/feinstimmwirbel_e.html

In particular, the top of page 2 of this one says you can cut the pegs off with a hacksaw.
http://www.wittner-gmbh.de/pdf/wittner_ ... tung_e.pdf

Please read these documents thoroughly before doing anything. If you are still confused, try e-mailing Wittner directly. If you do decide to cut them off, please let us know how it works.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jim McConkey

Postby Michael Jennings » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 am

Their violin pegs are meant to be trimmed off and polished after being fitted to the peg box.......
Michael Jennings

Postby Michael Jennings » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 am

Their violin pegs are meant to be trimmed off and polished after being fitted to the peg box....... OOPSSS... My experience is with Knilling Perfection Pegs, but I would imagine that Wittner are much the same as violin family instrument pegs, once fitted for taper always have the ends trimmed to be flush [or almost flush] with the outside of the pegbox.
Michael Jennings

Postby Jim McConkey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 pm

The Wittner documents I linked to above say they can also be cut off and polished.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jim McConkey

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars