StewMac tools

Viewing Photobucket-disabled pictures

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!

Viewing Photobucket-disabled pictures

Postby Bob Ionta » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi,

I'm not really new here but I have not been visiting a lot recently. Now that I've returned I find I can't view pictures that folks have posted. Instead of a photo I see an icon from Photobucket with some text saying I (or maybe the original poster?) should update preferences to enable offsite hosting of photos. I can't find anything in the MIMF preferences that would affect this. I'm using a Mac and I've tried 2 browsers, Safari and Chrome, with identical results.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks.

--Bob
Bob Ionta

Re: viewing posted pictures

Postby Peter Wilcox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Photobucket went from a free service to paid a few months ago, and their rates are really unrealistic, so pics posted there are not viewable any more unless the poster pays up, and most don't, so those pics are lost.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Postby Bob Ionta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:58 am

Ah. I see. That's a shame. Thank you for explaining.
Bob Ionta

Postby Jim McConkey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:59 pm

There are extensions for Firefox, Chrome, and Opera that can trick Photobucket into displaying old hotlinked pictures. Search your extension store for "Photobucket." There is, of course, no guarantee that Photobucket will not change something else to disable these. I just installed Photobucket Hotlink Fix 1.3.14 on Firefox and can verify it does work as of today (12/3/2017). If you install it (no reboot required), you still need to refresh whatever page you were looking at. It is an open-source project and is available here (source code is on GitHub):

Firefox version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x/?src=api
Chrome version: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... apbifiaedg
Opera version: https://addons.opera.com/es/extensions/ ... otlink-fix
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jim McConkey

Re: Viewing Photobucket-disabled pictures

Postby Peter Wilcox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks, Jim. That's good to know. I just installed it on Firefox and it works seamlessly.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Return to The Soundhole