So all I wanted was some hot water...

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Paul Burnside

So all I wanted was some hot water...

Post by Paul Burnside »

to make a little hide glue so I can glue this neck up that I'm working on.
I have a small water heater under my kitchen sink that I keep fairly scalding for purposes such as this. As it is kept at this temp for long times, it should have come as no surprise that it would decide to start leaking at the relief valve.
No problem, says I. Off to Home Depot last night for another one.
Once it is in place, the supply line is leaking. Off to Home Depot for another one.
One the supply line is repaired and everything is reconnected, a blast of compressed air in the line blows the spigot off the kitchen faucet. Off to Home Depot for a replacement.
What's this? CLOSED?? DAMMIT!
Off to the local pub for several adult beverages.
Crack of dawn this AM, off to Home Depot again. Replacement faucet in hand, I spend another hour gloriously removing the old one (the securing nuts of which the previous homeowner has thoughtfully caulked in place with silicone sealant).
Then, while replacing the garbage disposal (which I had to remove to get the old water heater out), the flange cracks. Off to Home Depot for a replacement.
Back at home, I find that one of the lines is leaking and has partially flooded the kitchen. Shut off water supply to house. Shop vac goes to work. Off to Home Depot for a replacement.
Replaced line. Replaced garbage disposal. Everything is working now.

Screw hot hide glue.
Paul Burnside
Black Watch Musical Instruments
Plano, Texas
www.blackwatchmi.com
Clay Schaeffer

Re: So all I wanted was some hot water...

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"Scalding" is a bad way to go for a water heater. I have a hot pot that will boil small amounts of water in less than 5 minutes to get my little crock pot up to temperature in short order. By the time the water cools to 140 degrees F the glue is up to temperature.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Sounds like a typical plumbing job to me.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

We have an empirically derived rule in my family: Never do plumbing when the store is closed. I use a baby bottle warmer for my hide glue.
Justin Figley

Post by Justin Figley »

If I ever get everything needed for a plumbing project in one trip to Lowe's I am going out and buying a lottery ticket as soon as the job is done.

Glad to hear you got it all put back together. Our water heater sprung a leak from the tank a month or so ago. My wife called the manufacturer, they said it was under warranty until November and gave us a free replacement even though the heater was purchased by the previous home owner. We were shocked by the degree to which they stood by their product.
Justin Figley - Engineer, Poser, Poor Speller
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I have no idea how plumbers can fit the entirety of a hardware store in the back of thier little trucks!! :lol:
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Boy you milked that job... oh, it's YOUR house... tough break there, but that's what happens when you get a luthier to do a plumber's job!
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Anytime I am purchasing an item from the plumbing section, I pay the cashier and say see you in an hour or so. . .
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Terry Mashek

Post by Terry Mashek »

Bob Gramann wrote:We have an empirically derived rule in my family: Never do plumbing when the store is closed. I use a baby bottle warmer for my hide glue.
My wife instantiated this rule in our house as well, after one night at 9pm I decided I'd "quick replace that old faucet."

Oh, no shut-off valves at the sink? No problem I'll just turn off the main water supply for the house for a few minutes.

The old facuet disintigrated when I tried to remove it? No big deal as I'm replacing it anyway.

The old faucet used different sized fittings than my replacement uses? Uh oh...
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

Just want to add this
I never have what I need for any plumbing project and I found this at a thrift store for $6. Heats to 140deg in 6-7 min.
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

Opps forgot picture
Attachments
gluepot 002.jpg
gluepot 002.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 12249 times
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Been there, done that! I've given Home Depot much of my money and time over the years and two houses. Many miles on the car, too.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

Sometimes its just cheaper to actually pony-up and pay a plumber the insane rates that they charge (insane because I can't charge the same!). They can get done in an hour what may take me all day... In that time I could have earned their charge and have money left over for me and none of the aggravation.
I may be crazy...but I'm not insane.

Return to “Jam Session”