Is guitar building like crack or nicotine?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Steve Sawyer

Is guitar building like crack or nicotine?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I realized today that I'm nearing completion of build #2 and I'm already becoming giddy about build #3 that only exists in my head and a rough drawing.

This is weird.
==Steve==
Brian Evans

Re: Is guitar building like crack or nicotine?

Post by Brian Evans »

Not for me. I ran out of room to store them so I stopped building them. I am building, very slowly, a PJ bass for a friend of mine but I don't think that counts.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

:)

Marcy asked me awhile back how many guitars I was planning on building. I just cast my gaze up to the wall-rack, noting the empty spaces that can probably accept another five guitars, with one on the bench now! :D
==Steve==
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Brian Evans wrote:Not for me. I ran out of room to store them so I stopped building them. I am building, very slowly, a PJ bass for a friend of mine but I don't think that counts.
Of course it counts. But this is a serious problem for the hobby builder. Not only space, but motivation. The joy of discovery starts to fade after awhile (maybe not for Steve), and if you're not making them to sell you start to wonder why you're doing it at all. I'm still coming up with new things I want to try, and still enjoy the process, but I am wondering how long I'll want to keep going.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I really recommend finding some friends, family or local musicians who need quality instruments. They may not be able to pay much, but their appreciation can fuel a life long passion for building. It's worked for me. And any other hobby or pastime, just pales in comparison.
MIMF Staff
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I'm on my 15th build. I have sold 8 of them, and seeing them in the hands of someone who can really play is justification.
I am 64 and headed into retirement at the end of November.
I have a pretty serious stock of hand picked wood, and am looking forward to helping that wood find its purpose.

Repairs are not really where my heart is, but they help finance the hobby.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Barry, that's good advice and I've followed it to an extent. I've given away several and sold a couple. Part of the problem for me is that very few people are interested in the kind of instruments I want to make (acoustic archtops). I'm not complaining, it's my choice and that's just how it is.

But hey, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Steve's giddy, and that's the way it should be!!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I really loved furniture building, but since everything was for our house it was all one style. There were so many techniques and materials that weren't appropriate for that style. I was explaining to someone the other day that as long as you pay attention to the mechanics of the sound production and don't neglect the ergonomics, solid-body guitars can be works of art! Build 1 and 2 are pretty slavish copies of commercial guitars, though I got a little creative with materials on the second. The third will be an original design, with inspiration from a commercial product. After that...

I'm learning to use Fusion 360 as build #3 was hitting the limitations of Sketchup! :D
==Steve==
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

I find buying luthier tools and wood to be like crack. I have a rather large order coming from SM today. I'm so excited!!
Dick Hutchings
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Steve Sawyer wrote:I realized today that I'm nearing completion of build #2 and I'm already becoming giddy about build #3 that only exists in my head and a rough drawing.

This is weird.

No don't be silly, it is much, much worse than that! Bob
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Orr wrote:No don't be silly, it is much, much worse than that!
You may be right! Every other woodworking project I've ever done, there was always a point that I'd get to when I started to ask "Why did I ever start this?" and was antsy to wrap it up. The absolute worst was the A&C style sofa and love seat I built. I was still working, my shop hadn't yet been remodeled into something more efficient, and it took me about 3 years!!

I just glued the neck on the current build, so some so I'm down to some final mounting holes, finishing, final slotting and shaping of the nut, and installing the electronics is all that's left, and I haven't had the least bit of impatience with it. It takes as long as it takes, and each step is still as much fun as the first.
LP Neck Glue-up.JPG
==Steve==
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

you're hooked
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I've been hooked on this hobby for over 40 years. Dulcimers were my gateway drug. Since then I've graduated to the hard stuff - harp guitars and such! I was able to "kick" the nicotine habit 34 years ago and never had a use for crack.
But seriously, even after 40+ years I still have new ideas I want to explore and instruments I want to build. One way to keep things fresh is to build different types of instruments, another way is to build "non serious" quick to build instruments that don't bog you down in a long term relationship. I usually have several projects going at the same time, so if I don't feel like working on one thing I can work on something else. If I don't feel like working on something else I can just "lay back". Some tasks demand sober concentration and some can be done in a back porch beverage drinking fashion. The beauty of - working - as a hobbyist is, you don't have to.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Clay Schaeffer wrote:The beauty of - working - as a hobbyist is, you don't have to.
:mrgreen:
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

We have a lot in common, Clay.
MIMF Staff
John Violette

Post by John Violette »

Steve Sawyer wrote:
I'm learning to use Fusion 360 as build #3 was hitting the limitations of Sketchup! :D
I am also trying to learn Fusion 360. It's complicated going to 3D from 2D plan making to get your head around it. Interested in getting an XCarve or similar CNC machine to use with fusion, but really need more regular tools (like a 14" bandsaw) first!

My latest build was from plans I drew up on QCad. I've got two guitars done, 7 years apart but just outfitted a workshop in a new location to complete number 2, so now I have to build more. Have wood and parts for number 3 and will start soon. Very therapeutic hobby and so rewarding to see someone (or yourself) use them in the band.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

John Violette wrote:Interested in getting an XCarve or similar CNC machine to use with fusion
Our woodworking club recently put on a program on CNC routers, and the raffle that night (which I won) was a certificate for training in the use of Maker Works' ShopBot CNC setup (we meet in their building). I took the class, and I'm now "certified" to operate it. They have V Carve software and give their members/students a Maker Works-specific license key that allows us to do everything at home except spit out the g-code - import from 3D modeling software (like Fusion 360), develop tool paths, do simulations of the "run" etc. So I thought it would be fun to do the body and at least a roughed-in neck (with maybe only the heel final-milled to match the neck pocket in the body) on the bass I had next up in the build queue. Two of the members in our club also have their own CNC rigs, the cheapest of the two was like a $9,000 investment! Too rich for my blood and I don't have room for one in my shop anyway, but I thought it would be fun to do once, and the skills learned with Fusion 360 will still be great for designing guitars in the future, so here I am! :D

I also really don't need any more power equipment, but I do keep thinking that I'd have room for a mini-mill if I let my benchtop mortiser go to a new home... :roll:
==Steve==
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

It's a bit more socially acceptable than crack or nicotine.

I'm in remission, but only because my workshop has a leak (and I'm afraid to ruin good wood/tools).
Back in the day, my classmates would find me browsing pages of rosewood and spruce.
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Former addicts might consider it therapy. Not being a FORMER addict (who knows what the future holds) 8-) I see it as an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

The root of the word “amateur” is “love,” but that doesn’t quite describe my relationship with it. In fact, as in love, I keep learning to deal with the highlights and... er... my shortcomings.

Return to “Jam Session”