Soon...

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.

Soon...

Postby Eric Knapp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am

I’ve not been active here for a while. Once my school year started I had little time for the shop. Then something else happened, I became eligible for early retirement. :D

A3087C71-295A-4180-92D2-E0415042644A.jpeg
60 days

I am really forward to getting back to working on my two guitar projects. I’ve been doing a lot of small projects and making tools. I have reorganized my shop a few times and I’m doing it again. And I’m looking forward to getting back to sharing with and learning from this forum.

Soon,

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Re: Soon...

Postby Bryan Bear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 am

Congrats!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bryan Bear

Postby Charlie Schultz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

Sweet! 14 days and 5 hours for me.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Postby Eric Knapp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

Bryan Bear wrote:Congrats!

Thanks! It was a surprise to me and a big shock to my colleagues. I will miss teaching but I really need a long break.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Eric Knapp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 am

Charlie Schultz wrote:Sweet! 14 days and 5 hours for me.

A hearty congrats to you too! Just two weeks for you, that must be either really exciting or exhausting. ;)

I’m focusing on getting my shop ready for the summer, when I’ll have lots more time, but lots less cash. 8-)

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Bryan Bear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm glad you guys aren't in a cop movie or I would be really worried about your safety <G>
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bryan Bear

Postby Eric Knapp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Bryan Bear wrote:I'm glad you guys aren't in a cop movie or I would be really worried about your safety <G>

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric Knapp

Postby Beate Ritzert » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Mhmm, and i am starting to plan how to fully develop by business that i can still have an income when i'll be 84...
Beate Ritzert

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Ahh. Retirement. Congrats you two on getting there.
I'm on a countdown also, but not for (roughly) 21 months, 11 days, 1 hr, 10 minutes. :lol:
Last edited by Gordon Bellerose on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Postby Matthew Lau » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Dude, retirement comes soon!

With all the school shooting craziness, I think it's a prudent time to take a break.
Hope you enjoy it.
Matthew Lau

Postby Randolph Rhett » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:59 pm

I've heard of this "retirement" thing once offered to previous generations. Never actually met anyone who was offered one. Although the CEO of a company I briefly worked for had something called a "golden parachute". Is that the same?
Randolph Rhett

Postby Barry Daniels » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 pm

My retirement was accompanied with a cardboard box and 30 minutes to clean out my desk. The modern day version of the gold watch.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Postby Eric Knapp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 am

Gordon Bellerose wrote:Ahh. Retirement. Congrats you two on getting there.
I'm on a countdown also, but not for (roughly) 21 months, 11 days, 1 hr, 10 minutes. :lol:

I’m kind of glad I didn’t have that long of a waiting period. I became eligible in September and had to decide by December 1, and I’ll be done in May. My head is spinning.

As hope your time goes by quickly.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Eric Knapp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am

Barry Daniels wrote:My retirement was accompanied with a cardboard box and 30 minutes to clean out my desk. The modern day version of the gold watch.

You got a box? Cool! :D

I’ll get nothing except the memories. I have a great bunch of students this semester, which is great, but also making me a little sad.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Eric Knapp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 am

Randolph Rhett wrote:I've heard of this "retirement" thing once offered to previous generations. Never actually met anyone who was offered one. Although the CEO of a company I briefly worked for had something called a "golden parachute". Is that the same?

This used to be one of the few good benefits of being a public school teacher. I hope my young colleagues will have this. Nowadays there’s the oxymoron phrase of, “retirement career” that I’ll soon have to sort out.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Eric Knapp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

Matthew Lau wrote:Dude, retirement comes soon!

With all the school shooting craziness, I think it's a prudent time to take a break.
Hope you enjoy it.

There was a bill proposed in my state to allow college students to have concealed carry rights. I have no idea how this was considered a good idea by anyone. The bill didn’t make it very far but I’m glad I’m out.

On to more woodworking!

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Bob Howell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

So what builds do you have planned now you have plenty of time?
Bob Howell

Postby Eric Knapp » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am

Bob Howell wrote:So what builds do you have planned now you have plenty of time?

I have two guitars I’m working on. First is a re-build of an old Epiphone archtop from 1938. It was destroyed beyond restoring so I’m salvaging as much as I can and will make the rest of the parts. I’ve also started making an OM as my first full build. That photo at the top is the rosette I made for it, my first. I’m also a handtool lover and I make handplanes.

Thanks for asking!

47 day...

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Clay Schaeffer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:58 pm

"First is a re-build of an old Epiphone archtop from 1938. It was destroyed beyond restoring so I’m salvaging as much as I can and will make the rest of the parts."

Sometimes you are better off getting a few under your belt before doing a major restoration. I've done a few I wish I had a "do over" for. In 1938 Epiphone was still an independent company producing high quality instruments, not a "budget line" for the Gibson company who bought them in '57. Some parts you may think are unsalvageable you may later find you could have restored.
Clay Schaeffer

Postby Pat Foster » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 am

Congratulations. You guys are going to love it. Every day is like Saturday.
I like to start slow, then taper off.
Pat Foster

Next

Return to Jam Session