Shopus interuptus

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Steve Sawyer

Shopus interuptus

Post by Steve Sawyer »

AAAAaaaaarrrgh!!

As I've mentioned elsewhere around here, I'm nearing the end of an 18-24-month-long project to expand and remodel my shop. It's been such a lengthy project because I had to do some other major remodeling in the other, recreation and entertainment half of the basement to provide some storage to compensate for some space my shop was going to take over, and that too led to more than I'd planned like a new ceiling, new lighting etc. In addition, the LOML kept encouraging me to take the shop remodel to the next level which has been both a blessing and a curse. The shop is a "public" area in that you have to go through the shop to reach the laundry, and when we entertain in our basement rec room the guests have to go through the shop to reach a half-bath, so she's concerned with how the shop looks to those not in love with machinery and workspaces. Fortunately I'm a very anal-retentive neatnik, but it has been very cramped and crowded space for a very long time.

She asked "What are you going to do with the floor?" (old, nasty, ugly, stained 50-year-old asbestos-vinyl tile), to which I replied "nothing" and she said "Let me re-phrase that - you ARE doing something with the floor, aren't you??", so I spent an additional 6 weeks or so cutting and laying interlocking PVC tile on weekends and evenings. It's really, really nice, but I'm really getting tired of this project and am anxious to get back to making stuff instead of working on the darn shop!

Anyway, last weekend was to be a major milestone. The Oneida 3-HP dust collector that has been stacked in ENORMOUS boxes in the rec room since February was finally going to get assembled and installed!!! The ducting was going to take a little more time, but at the very least I could drag a 4" vacuum hose around the shop and use more of my equipment without choking on the dust.

As usual, I'm working by myself (the LOML has arthritis and no gripping strength), and the motor that sits on top of the cyclone units weighs about 85 lbs. I managed to jury-rig some pulleys and ropes to lift it most of the way off the floor up between the joists so I could get the rest of the assembly underneath it. I get everything bolted together, sealed up, got the drum sentry hooked up, the motor starter mounted and everything plugged into the dedicated 220v circuit I installed for it.

I hit the power switch, it starts to spin up, but within about a second I hear a "GRONK!!" from the motor and it stops...

What the hell??

After crawling up into the joists and looking at everything, I finally notice that the motor (a good Leeson) is rotated 180* from where it was when I lifted everything into place - HUH?? I get both hands on it, and sure enough I can rotate the motor housing within the end-bell that is fastened to the mounting plate atop the blower housing. I think that some wiring got pulled loose inside when it rotated.

Marcy said that I looked like someone just killed my dog as I was standing there staring at the assembled but dysfunctional unit.

I contacted Oneida, and they are as puzzled about what the heck is wrong with this motor as I am, but are sending me a new motor and impeller assembly. Now I have to COMPLETELY dis-assemble the entire magilla, pack up the motor assembly in the box they're sending me to return it, and re-assemble everything. I'm recruiting my 24-year-old son and one of his buddies to come over and help me muscle this thing apart and back together again. I was lucky I didn't injure myself doing it by myself the first time, and I don't want to push my luck!! :roll:

I was hoping at one time to have my shop back in full operation by September. Right now, I'll be happy if I get it together by Halloween!! In the meantime, I keep pulling the Tele project off the shelf and admiring the shaped but unsanded body, and the radiused and slotted neck, then put it back on the shelf and think to myself "real soon now..."
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Shopus interuptus

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Ouch!! :shock:

Those heavy pieces of equipment can be killers; literally.
When I assembled my floor standing drill press, and then went to lift it to a vertical position, I came close to losing control and dropping it. Approx. 150 lb. worth!!
I would have had the same expression on my face as you had on yours. :oops: :( :cry:
Could easily have broken a leg, or other body part.
I learned my lesson that day. I will get help from now on; until the day no one can help, and then it's back to the old way doing things by myself.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Yeah, I was a bit nervous when I was right underneath that 85 lb motor assembly swinging from three eyebolts screwed into the subfloor between the joists! I have hauled so much heavy equipment down the stairs into my shop over the years that I hope we never have to move while I'm still in good health enough to be using it. Gravity was working for me moving it INTO the shop, but will be working against us if we ever have to move it out.

I have to admit that I got spoiled having a strapping young man around the house for a few years, but he and his GF moved into their own place a couple of years ago, and bought their own house a year ago July, so he's not as handy as when he was just sitting on his butt in the family room playing video games!! :lol:
==Steve==
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I'm glad you're safe. It sounds like it will all be worth it once done but that does little to make the waiting easier.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

I feel your pain. I've been planning a much less ambitious shop remodel for some time now but the memories of the last go-around keep me from jumping in. Same issue as you have, just can't redo the shop and work on projects at the same time. :o
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Steven Smith wrote:Same issue as you have, just can't redo the shop and work on projects at the same time. :o
Not only that, but you still have work to do that involves tools, and I can't find ANYTHING. I was looking for something the other day and literally opened every cabinet and every drawer trying to find it (and yeah, it was in the last place I looked).

Once I get the dust collector operating I can start to rectify some of that as I can build out some of the racks/shelves/hooks etc. for tools and decide where everything is going to go. I've made a tiny bit of progress in that regard, building a rack for a vise, hold-downs, twist drills and Forstner bits beside the drill press, a rack for hand saws and various mallets next to the workbench where I do most of my hand-work, and have started to re-organize one cabinet to hold just finishing materials and supplies. That's just scratching the surface though - most everything else is chaos! :)
==Steve==
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

I know what you mean - you need a tool and it's in a box that just happens to be on the bottom, in the corner, under all the wood, ..........
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Steven Smith wrote:I know what you mean - you need a tool and it's in a box that just happens to be on the bottom, in the corner, under all the wood, ..........
You mean, that's where you think it is, but it ain't there. :cry:
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

Steve Sawyer wrote:
Steven Smith wrote:Same issue as you have, just can't redo the shop and work on projects at the same time. :o
Not only that, but you still have work to do that involves tools, and I can't find ANYTHING. I was looking for something the other day and literally opened every cabinet and every drawer trying to find it (and yeah, it was in the last place I looked).
Why would you keep looking after you found it? ;)
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

Peter Wilcox wrote:
Steven Smith wrote:I know what you mean - you need a tool and it's in a box that just happens to be on the bottom, in the corner, under all the wood, ..........
You mean, that's where you think it is, but it ain't there. :cry:
Exactly
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Okay - finally got the Cyclone DC unit installed - and my electrician buddy finished up his work too, so maybe I'll be back into a functioning shop by Thanksgiving!!

The first pics below show the jackleg block-and-tackle I used to raise (and lower! :roll:) the top of the unit into place while I slid the bottom of the cyclone and stand underneath it. Instead of trying to do this by myself again, I enlisted my son and one of his buddies to help me with it. So nice to have beefy young men available when you need some muscle! :)
DC_3.JPG
DC_4.JPG
DC_1.JPG
DC_2.JPG
==Steve==

Return to “Jam Session”