Questions about build logs

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Eric Knapp

Questions about build logs

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello, I see there is a Detailed Build section here. There are only 4 threads in it which makes me curious about some things. Are build logs discouraged, tolerated, or encouraged by the group? I've been doing a build log of sorts over on Facebook. It's not detailed, it's for family and friends. I post a lot of pictures and describe what I'm doing in non-woodworker terms.

If I did a beginner build log here what is the general protocol? Start a thread and post to it periodically? How detailed are they generally? Are they considered interesting to the more experience among you or is their appeal more for other beginners?

Thanks,

-Eric
Mike Conner

Re: Questions about build logs

Post by Mike Conner »

Eric,
The Detailed Build section is relatively new. Charlie created it when I contacted him about how to upload and share my Archtop Build Journal. Putting all of the detail from the Journal into a thread would be interesting in terms of the forum dialog it can generate, but not really convenient as a reference and practically impossible to maintain and edit. My Journal continues to evolve and I will post updates as I achieve various milestones (the Fifth edition is almost ready, pending the sunburst finish on Number 7 that I will start next week).

I would guess that the main reason there is less posting in the Build section is the significant effort needed to create a comprehensive thread. That being said, there is the waterborne finishes thread that has grown to 9 pages that has lots of information and variations on methods if you can wade through all the posts.http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4092

I actually have a link to the thread in my Journal. I also post to a Facebook page, and that is mostly for family and friends, and especially enjoyable if the project is for someone specific since they can follow the progress of their instrument being built.

It can be intimidating to lay out all your methods and secrets for others to flame, but not really an issue here on MIMF. People are incredibly generous and polite here! I really hope you go ahead and start a thread and share your experience. I really enjoy seeing beginner and advanced build details equally. My sincere hope has been that daring to post my experience would encourage others to try building and to share their experience openly.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

HA! I had actually forgotten we even had that section. I love seeing the build threads. there is so much to learn from being able to watch the whole process. I think it's valuable for both the one building the guitar and those watching. When you hit a snag, or maybe do something that could cause problems down the road the community is there to help you along or even catch mistakes before they happen. And of course we can all learn by watching the way someone else does it.
Why don't we do it more? I don't know. maybe those that have several builds under our belt have lost some of the enthusiasm to document what we've done so many times before. I know I'm not as excited to take pictures and document my guitar builds as I once was, but I just started a new tenor uke (my first attempt) and I'm taking pictures as I go because it's new to me. Maybe I should start a thread for it?
I know for me putting lot of stuff on here is quite a bit of work and takes more time than I often have free. First I have to take the picture, which stops work, then upload it to my google drive, then download it to my PC, then resize it, add it to the thread and make a description. When I'm really excited about sharing what I've done it seems worth it. Other times I just don't have the time.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

in the old days, we asked members not to post projects until they were all done (too many never got finished), and even though that rule has since been relaxed, there still may be some reluctance to post white in-progress. The only exception was build contests, where it was required that every entrant post a real-time build log. I think the main reason you don't see more build logs is that it just takes a fair amount of time and discipline to document each step and then sort through a hundreds of pictures to find the few that best show the process. Everyone learns something from build logs, the builder included. We definitely want to encourage more people to document what they do and how they do it, rather than just show a pretty picture at the end (not that we discourage those, too!). This Forum exists here to spread knowledge about building instruments of all types. So, by all means, please document, post, and share!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

A while back, I posted pictures and instructions for a Zebrawood Neck-Through.
I took pictures of the different steps along the way, and wrote my comments above the pictures.
It was very well received, and was fun to do.

I think it is still in the electrics section. At the time, either the detailed build section was not there, or I was unaware of it.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Thanks for the enouragement, folks. I'm a pro computer guy so dealing with the logistics is not a concern. I have lots of pics and I'm finally making some serious progress. I'll start a build log thread soon. I start back to school tomorrow so I'll do it as soon as I can. I've read as many of the build logs on the site as I could and really enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to comments and criticisms.

-Eric
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I've found that if I post an ongoing build as it is happening, it keeps me on track to push on, and comments and suggestions are helpful too. I'm getting ready to branch out and start a couple of resophonics this fall and winter, so if I post them as builds I may actually complete them. Since some of the design and construction may be off the beaten track, any input from the forum, both negative and positive, will be welcome.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Peter Wilcox wrote:I've found that if I post an ongoing build as it is happening, it keeps me on track to push on, and comments and suggestions are helpful too. I'm getting ready to branch out and start a couple of resophonics this fall and winter, so if I post them as builds I may actually complete them. Since some of the design and construction may be off the beaten track, any input from the forum, both negative and positive, will be welcome.
I don't have any current interest in resophonics but I will read your build thread with great interest. I've learned things from discussions that were way off the track of my interests. I'm looking forward to this.

-Eric
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

If people posted their build logs, that would probably be my first place to check for new posts! I just love seeing people build guitars, and probably learn more that way than any discussion on a single topic. That said, I'm a terrible hypocrite as I have NEVER posted a build log or even a "proud papa: my new baby" style post. In my defense I am criminally poor with a camera.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I love build logs. You can always pick something new up. There are a few problems. They are hard to follow if there is a long time between posts and if they never finish it can be disappointing. . . That said waiting until you are finished makes it really annoying g to sit down and post it all after the fact. That is why the challenges are so great. You have to update in real time and there is incentive to finish.

I'd be happy to see more build threads here!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

I built an A-type mandolin last year and decided to do a build log on it (it's on the "other" forum though :? ). My experience was much as Peter said, the log helped to keep me engaged and moving forward. I also got help from experienced mandolin makers who jumped in and even PM'd me with detailed measurements and such. I noticed the other day that the log is still getting several hits a day and is almost up to 10,000 so it appears that it is useful for others who are contemplating a similar project.

Return to “Jam Session”