Charity Build

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Kurt Veltman

Charity Build

Post by Kurt Veltman »

Ok folks, has anyone out there built an instrument to be donated to a charity? Did you fund the entire thing yourself, or did you have help (underwriters?) covering the cost of materials and components?
Bob Gramann

Re: Charity Build

Post by Bob Gramann »

I did one for a charity auction supporting a River protection group. I build it with wood recovered from a destroyed crib dam on the river. I funded it myself, charging it to my advertising budget. I got a lot of good publicity from the effort. And, it resulted in a pretty nice guitar. Every now and then, I run in to the happy purchaser.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I made an uke once for charity and funded it myself which is not a big deal for an uke since much of the wood was off-cuts. The next time, it will likely be a guitar. I will probably fund it myself but I may seek donations for items to be in the package like lessons from a local music shop, strap, case, tuner and/or books. It will be in a raffle rather than auction so this type of thing might encourage non-guitar players to buy tickets thus raising the yield for the charity.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Kurt Veltman

Post by Kurt Veltman »

Here's my problem...I can't afford to cover this whole thing. I have been given $100 by an individual to buy components and parts, but I need about another $300. I have contacted a few businesses (vendors) with the hope that they will donate various items (tuners, pickups, bridge etc). So far, no luck.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I've donated a guitar to a charity auction (animal shelter) at my own expense, but I don't depend on lutherie for income, and it only costs me a couple hundred bucks or less in materials to build them. I'm retired, so my time is worthless.

Kurt - maybe someone associated with the charity could find some other donors to help out. Emphasize that you are donating your time and knowledge, but need some help with the expense of materials.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Kurt Veltman

Post by Kurt Veltman »

Peter, the gentleman who started the organization is actually the one who gave me the $100 for parts, and we have had conversations about the expense of this. Incidentally, this is to fund research to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.
Bob Shanklin

Post by Bob Shanklin »

A friend in Calgary did a build to be raffled by the Alberta Humane Society, which is the same as the US ASPCA. Several members of Mario's Luthierforum donated various parts for the project. If I remember correctly, it raised around 3K at the raffle. He did a second one last year out of his own pocket for the same charity.

Bob
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Does the research foundation have a standard letter that it uses when soliciting donations that explains the charity, it's no prophet status and all that jazz? The charity I am with does. It helps to respectfully approach business owners in person, explain what you are trying to accomplish and leave them with the letter. Often local businesses will donate items knowing their name will be associated with the fundraiser. I would try local music stores who sell parts and upgrades. They may donate parts and eat that cost as advertising, especially so if they offer lessons. You will likely have to be flexible in what pickups tuners and whatnot that you get.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
David King

Post by David King »

Prophet-free charities are always easier to work with... <g>

The other motivation for a business to donate to 501-c3 status organizations is that their "in-kind"or cash donation is fully tax-deductible.
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I've built for two different charity auctions. On one they bought the wood for me (raw lumber, not finished "sets"). A $40 stick of EIR and about the same in 4/4 maple. I paid for the truss rod and tuners. On the first one it was a true donation from me.

Return to “Jam Session”