a question for the mechanical engineer

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Bob Hammond

a question for the mechanical engineer

Post by Bob Hammond »

Hello,

I turned this persuader from a bit of ash, and it's proven handy. A friend hefted it, and I mentioned that I read an article that discussed the mechanical properties of a hammer, and the conclusion was that there is an optimal balance point on the handle, where the transfer of power of the swing was maximized for delivery to the target rather than the hand & arm.

Does anybody know the reference?

You could imagine this in a different way. Just imagine that you were the first batter on Opening Day and swatted the baseball...
Attachments
the handle and head were textured to grip.
the handle and head were textured to grip.
David King

Re: a question for the mechanical engineer

Post by David King »

I'd be tempted to drill out the head and keep filling it with steel shot until you hit the optimum mass. If you didn't want a "dead-blow" you could encapsulate the shot with epoxy to immobilize it in the head.
Also some flexibility in the shaft may help insulate the operator from shock transmission to the handle and hand.
Eric Baack

Re: a question for the mechanical engineer

Post by Eric Baack »

or wrap the handle with some grip tape.

Return to “Jam Session”