Winter NAMM

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Ryan Mazzocco

Winter NAMM

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I've keeping up with what so many have been doing over NAMM weekend via social networks.
I've been attending the Gateway Area Luthiers show for the past few years. I love it. It's small, and really just an excuse for some luthiers to get together for a whole day and talk shop. But for some of us that are still just getting into this, I have a few questions about NAMM.
Do I want to go? (is it worth it?)
What is one really trying to accomplish by attending/exhibiting?
At what point is one ready to attend his first?
What are the costs involved?
What else is involved?

Thanks
Perry Ormsby

Re: Winter NAMM

Post by Perry Ormsby »

Ultimately, unless you're looking for dealers, it's a hefty expense. And to be looking for dealers, you'll be doing volume. Whilst the general public arent officially invited, they do get in. But its far from a public show.

Smallest booth is $3600. Then all the add ons. Power, tables, carpet, etc etc etc. Load in will cost you based on weight. Flights. Accomodation. Time off work. Inevitable downtime from coming down sick after shaking hands with 1000 people...
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Sounds like a good time. :-)
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

NAMM is a sensory overload experience. I used to participate there as part of the Luthiers Consortium with 8 or 10 other luthiers. We shared a 10 X 10 foot space and each of us displayed one guitar at the show. After hours when the show closed each evening we went back to our hotel where we set up a couple rooms for display and jamming. NAMM is very strict about this sort of thing, only allowing us to do this because we had official presence on the show floor. Otherwise we would be shut down by the local police at the direction of the NAMM organization.

We consisted of Tim McKnight, Eric Schoenberg, Kevin Ryan, Bruce Sexauer, John Slobod, Laurent Brondel, Michael Dunn, Kathy Wingert, Howard Klepper, Mike Baranik, Jason Kostal, and some others I will think of later. The point was to make an attraction to draw prospective clients. It was fun, and a few guitars were sold, but not many. It was a form of advertising where folks can see and touch the instruments. By teaming together it was more affordable for what we did, rather than individually.

Return to “Jam Session”