Canadian Geese

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Dennis Weaver

Canadian Geese

Post by Dennis Weaver »

Used to be you seen them fly over migrating to Canada or back to where ever south they went. Now they live here in NJ.

Ball fields have various things like strings with ribbons and fake wooden foxes all over them to keep droppings off them.

They are around every lake. Well some towns did stuff to cut down on them and they are less at those lakes I notice, but I am curious, where do people live and do they have Canadian geese living where you are ALL YEAR ROUND!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't we be eating them?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Canadian Geese

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

They live in Maryland all year around, and they are very tasty if you lay a little bacon across their breast when you cook them. Because they are long distance fliers the breast meat is lean dark meat (I learned that in an avian physiology class I took back in the 70's) and a bit dry without some added grease.
Jamie Unden

Post by Jamie Unden »

We don't have geese, but we have wild parrots. Twice a year (Coming and going) they hang out in my neighborhood for about two months and eat the pecans in the tree next door and the berries in the tree by my slider. A lot of people hate them because they are really noisy, but I love them.
Parrot.JPG
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

In central Missouri, we have the (once rare) sub species of giant Canada Geese, and they live here all the time. Their other brethren join them seasonally, or occasionally move in for a year-long stay. Lewis and Clark commented on Giant Canada Geese (although they didn't call them that) when they passed through a long time ago.
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

There are plenty of them that stay the winter here in Calgary and quite a few that head South.
Edison Gebhard

Post by Edison Gebhard »

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone call them "tasty!" lol! The hunters I know in Montana turn them into jerky for their dogs.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

"Canada geese", not "Canadian geese"!
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I've eaten some good Canada goose. I've done more enjoying than eating though. When I was a kid, our farm was an annual stop in both the spring and fall migration. The Department of Natural Resources came out a few different times and counted around 10,000 in our fields. It was a sight to behold and a sound even more so. A family or two would nest in the creek behind the house, and all summer I'd go to sleep listening to them calling to each other. It was wonderful.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Jam Session”