Marketing for Luthiers?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Craig Bumgarner

Re: Marketing for Luthiers?

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas. Perry and Jason for the conceptual and all , especially Greg for his lengthy discussion of my original list and Jason for his constructive critique of my website. I hope this is not the end of this thread as I've learned a lot and I'm sure there is more to be learned.
Perry Ormsby

Post by Perry Ormsby »

Well Craig, that was obviously the end of this thread :P

But, Ive been working with some luthiers to work on their mindset, and develop their marketing on a one on one basis. Im going to take a small group and work with them to improve their businesses. The skeptical will wonder why that is. It's because we all have our own niches, markets, price points, unique products, and unique services that allow us to make a difference in this career. I don't feel I have any competition... not small builders, not large corporations. If you know your market, you can make a very good living. Anyway, you guys will work out how to apply if interested...
Dennis Weaver

Post by Dennis Weaver »

Ad in Acoustic Guitar magazine.
A DVD people can buy cheap which has all about the guitars.
Write a book.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I was just catching up on this one myself. Much is spoken here about websites, that's a good thing...but I see that some of you, Craig included, do not have your websites listed in your Profile here. We all need to list our websites everywhere we go, to get the most from them- other luthiers want to see your websites! I looked through this whole discussion and missed the link to Craig's if it was posted.
I have found that video is a good thing to use, and I put together an introductory video for my website....find it by going to my profile, and click! I hope everyone who has a website will list it in their profile page here.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

Since this has come around again, I would like to encourage everyone selling hand made instruments to give Etsy a try. Their posting rates are very low and their commission when you sell is not bad either. it works very well for me. I am saying this for somewhat selfish reasons. I think if more custom builders would post there, it would get a reputation as the go-to place to shop for hand made instruments and I would get more traffic. I started building guitars about two years ago. I signed up for Etsy in July 2013. In a year and a half I've sold 24 guitars through this site (2/3 of all my sales) and currently have four on order. I get about 500 views per week.
Etsy also pays for Google ads. If you do a Google search of American Handmade Electric Guitar, and then click shopping, my listings are right at the top. This is at no cost to me, so pretty good cost to benefit ratio.
Good luck to all of you and Happy New Year!
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Mark Swanson wrote: I have found that video is a good thing to use, ..
I read/was told that the most effective way to get higher rankings on google is to put videos up on you tube. The ratings there really push up your google ranking. Perry has a channel for example, as has Rob O'Brien.
Perry Ormsby

Post by Perry Ormsby »

Yeah, but I post car videos on my channel :)

Video is good though. It ranks higher than text for example.
Perry Ormsby

Post by Perry Ormsby »

Dave Weir wrote: Etsy also pays for Google ads. If you do a Google search of American Handmade Electric Guitar, and then click shopping, my listings are right at the top.
Google ads has the ability to use your prior web surfing history as a database for picking which adverts to display. The reason it's up the top, is because you visit that page (your guitars). But, this means anyone else who has been there recently, is reminded of the visit if they search for the same thing too...
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

I know what you are saying and generally agree. But if I do an incognito search from my wife's computer, it comes up the same. I'm not trying to make this about me. I'm just saying Etsy has worked well for me.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Dave Weir wrote:I know what you are saying and generally agree. But if I do an incognito search from my wife's computer, it comes up the same. I'm not trying to make this about me. I'm just saying Etsy has worked well for me.
That could be because it is not "incognito" in the least. If you are using a home router, then apart from the stacks of cookies, flash cookies and the browsing history on your computer and you wife's, you still appear as the same source because the IP address you are displaying to the world is the router's not your computer's and gives the name of your connection in the sense of you service providers link name for your connection. If it is a dsl connection then restarting the router changes the ip and connection name a bit but still betrays the radius where you are located as the IPs/and names are associated with the equivalent of a local telephone exchange.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I googled "American Handmade Electric Guitar", clicked on shop, and there were Dave's guitar ads, second and fourth ones on the top line. I'd never been to etsy or Dave's site, and I live six hundred miles from him. I think the "handmade" in the search terms is what brings it to the top, because it comes up on "handmade electric guitar" too - not sure how many searchers would use that term.
Attachments
American-handmade-electric-.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

I think Mr. Wilcox is correct. That search puts me near the top because those are the exact terms I use in my listings.
If you search Guitar or Electric Guitar, I'm no where to be seen. The less specific the search, the further I drop down. But if you do have a specific product, like a Selmer guitar, I think being consistent and specific in your listing or website or videos can help.
Also, this is not exactly a Google search the way most people do it. On the "Web" tab, I don't do as well. On the "Images" tab, a little better. I think it has to do with Etsy paying Google for the Shopping ad, and they use my storefront in their listing because I am one of the more active sellers.
Compared to Etsy, my website gets very little traffic. There is just nothing directing people there. You would probably have to search the website name to ever find it. I thought it would make me look more "legitimate". Actually, Facebook has been the second most useful tool. It's very easy to update, and think what you want about it, a lot of people use it.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I agree about using Facebook. To get the most out of it, you need lots of friends, and you need to maintain a presence there. I have a page there and it gets a lot of attention when I post "in progress" photos.
By the way, the MIMF also has a page there! It doesn't get much action...that's all over here.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff

Return to “Jam Session”