Making a Case Fit the Bass Better

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Kirk Dickinson

Making a Case Fit the Bass Better

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

I have a WolfPak bass case and when I first got it, the case was a tight fit for my bass. The first time I put the bass in, I thought the case was too small, the butt end of the bass had to be jammed in and was tight. It compressed the underlying styrofoam or polyfoam or whatever is underneath it. Not anymore. Being carried around has compressed the foam even more and it rattles around in there. Not very protective any more.

My idea was to get some of the same foam and some more material exactly like what is in there and redo the insidecase so that the bass fits nice and snug. I went to Joann's Fabrics today and I guess that is not the place to get the material.

Any idea where to get these supplies?

Thank You!

Kirk
Greg Robinson

Re: Making a Case Fit the Bass Better

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Kirk,

You might try a plastics/rubber products supplier, or even a packaging supplier for the foam. Fabric stores would be your best bet for patching any liner.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Veronica Merryfield

Post by Veronica Merryfield »

Furniture repairer? Upholster?
Kirk Dickinson

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

I haven't torn the fabric off to see what the foam is underneath, but it feels like it is a very low density styrofoam. Once it is compressed, it doesn't bounce back like foam rubber. The material itself looks like plush felt that is slightly hairy with low pile. It has a backing on it unlike felt.
Steve Kuchta

Post by Steve Kuchta »

Kirk,
I've recently done what you seem to be trying to do. I got a "cheap" strat style case and found that the foam form didn't quite fit my strat "clone". So I tore the fabric off (not easy) and removed the foam from the bottom section of the case. It was a white styrofoam. The kind that disintegrates into lots of little styrofoam "pills". I couldn't save it, so, I used some of that 2" pink foam insulation. (I know, it will dent if you're not careful) I cut it to size, rounded the corners and dry fitted it. (use a strap of some kind to go under the foam blank to help lift and pry it back out w/o breaking it) I drew an outline of my instrument and routed the shape to the proper depth and gave it a little slop for fabric & cushions around the edges. What a mess! I used a cheap dremel-like rotary cutter (not my good router) and a 1/4" router bit and got pink foam dust/flakes all over the workbench end of the garage. But it worked. I used some open cell foam (normal foam rubber stuff) to add a little "give" to some of the edges (about 3/8" thick around the horns and lower bout. not all the way around, but just to cushion a bit.) This assumes doing careful dry fits of the instrument at selected stages to make sure it's right.

You may want to dry fit the fabric before you glue it down. Watch that you don't use too much glue so it doesn't soak through your fabric. I also made a 6" tool to help stuff the edges down into the case around the foam blank. About 1/8" thick, an inch or so wide, rounded on the end that fits into your palm and angled, thinned just a little, and smoothed over on my belt sander on the other end, so it doesn't cut the fabric you're stuffing into the edges out of sight. Handy tool, quick and effective.
Hope this helps.
Kirk Dickinson

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

Steve, that sounds like what I need to do to make it fit well. Where did you get the fabric? That is where I am stuck right now.

Kirk
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I had to modify a double fiddle/mando case this summer and found the same thing: cheap white crumbly Styrofoam underneath the fabric. The fabric is attached with a spray adhesive. If you work carefully, you can separate the fabric from the foam. Use a real sharp X-acto-type knife to cut the foam or you will have a mess. Well, you will have a mess anyway, so have a vacuum handy. Depending on how much modification is needed, you may have to replace an entire block of foam. You can reattach the fabric with a spray adhesive again. If you need new fabric, look at any fabric store, Walmart, etc.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
KD Williams-Shimomura

Post by KD Williams-Shimomura »

I also agree that the pink insulation board should work well as a more durable replacement for the inside of your case. Also if you are concerned with it getting dented and dinged up over time; you may want to use some high density foam (such as that of a yoga or camping mat - available at any sports store) and adhere it to the pink insulation board. Be sure to account for this additional foam and thickness when cutting your shape into the pink insulation board.

As for cloth; you could use pretty much anything you want so long as it is soft so you don't mess up your finish... Fake furs and velvet/velveteens can work great for this purpose... and also; ask where the clearance or "red tag" sections are in the craft stores you visit; sometimes you can get a killer price on some high end materials just because they ate "out of season."

Good luck!
"Speak useful words or be silent." -The Hávamál
David King

Post by David King »

Some spray adhesives will melt your typical styrofoam so test that out first. I'd also recommend you find some closed cell polyethylene foam which will hold up much better than the EPS you find now. Black velour with a bit of stretch to it is much easier to fit and have it look good when you are done but don't get the spray adhesive near it where it touches the instrument or it may soak through and continually rub off on the finish.

Return to “Jam Session”