TNG forum feedback?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

TNG forum feedback?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi all,
Feel free to opine about the new forum- likes, dislikes, suggestions, etc. It's still a bit rough of course but we've got to start somewhere...

Thanks,
Charlie
Last edited by Charlie Schultz on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Make sticky
Greg Robinson

Re: TNG forum feedback?

Post by Greg Robinson »

Is there any way to have quick-links to all the different sections at the bottom of each page?
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I second the quick links suggestion. It looks like the only way to get from one section to another is to go back to the main board index.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Oops, I missed the Jump To option, but it is not nearly as handy as the old list of quick links.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Another thing I've been trying to find is subscriptions, I might be blind, but I can't seem to find how to do that...
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Ok, I received a notification email when there was a new post in an area I'd subscribed to, but I couldn't find anything in the profile settings to disable that. I also couldn't find anything like the "check messages" button on the old software. That made browsing the old forum really easy for me, I simply subscribed to every section, and would just hit "check messages" until I'd read everything. Receiving an email for every new post in the entire forum would be... cumbersome...
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Ok, the "view unread posts" at the board index works like the old "check messages" button, but it is only available from the board index, and disappears as soon as you navigate to a section or thread, so lots of hitting the back button...
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback. Under UCP | Overview | Manage Subscriptions, you should be able to turn off/disable individual subscriptions.

As for the check messages, currently we have "View new posts" and "View unread posts" on the top level (I'm working to have those show up on all the levels). As for subscribing to all the forums, I am looking into that (it has been requested by a couple other folks too).

Charlie

PS I see you found the "view unread posts" as I was typing this...
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Ok, so it seems that the "view unread posts" button will do what I want without the need for subscriptions (I hope?). I've just unsubscribed from everything, I'll see how that works for me.
Looking good so far Charlie, if you get the "view unread posts" button appearing somewhere on every page, it will be perfect!

EDIT:
Edit test <g>
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Greg, there is a tiny little icon next to the discussion names that will take you to the first unread message in that discussion. When you go to a section (jam, flattop. . .) you can look at the list and see which discussions have that icon. So you can easily see which ones you need to read new post in. . .
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Is there any feature like the "Message Center" from the old forum?
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Yes, but we are not actually uploading pictures, right? At least I haven't seen an "upload pictures" button here. I just put a picture test thread over in "other instruments", with a picture that was linked in from my Photobucket account, where I keep all my web pictures.

http://www.tngforum.mimf.com/phpbb/view ... p?f=7&t=31

BTW, I'm glad if this is the way we're going to do it, it means I retain better control over my pictures, and it opens lots of possibilitis for "build threads" etc. OTOH it messes the thread up if the poster moves the pictures, or the link breaks for some reason. In my view, this is going to be the single most important difference between the new and old MIMF (if this is indeed how its going to be over here)
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Bob Gramann wrote:Is there any feature like the "Message Center" from the old forum?
Bob, the "view active topics" function (which I would prefer to see available in all the sections, as already mentioned ... ;) ), is pretty much the same thing
Nathan Noel

Post by Nathan Noel »

Awesome to see MIMMF up to snuff with tech. Please add Forum Runner support too... Makes mobile use much better to use a good app like Forum Runner
Mark Lurvey

Post by Mark Lurvey »

Is there a way to keep track of what forum and/or topics you've actually read? It seems when I log on it shows me the new posts since the last time I logged on whether or not I've previously visited a forum.
Did I word that well? Here's an example, I have not even been to the Wood and Materials forum but the Icon is blue and says "No Unread Posts" when in fact they are all unread by me. I'm just saying...<g>.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
I'll have to look into that, thanks for pointing it out.

Charlie
Brian Dyskin

Post by Brian Dyskin »

Arnt Rian wrote:Yes, but we are not actually uploading pictures, right? At least I haven't seen an "upload pictures" button here. I just put a picture test thread over in "other instruments", with a picture that was linked in from my Photobucket account, where I keep all my web pictures.

http://www.tngforum.mimf.com/phpbb/view ... p?f=7&t=31

BTW, I'm glad if this is the way we're going to do it, it means I retain better control over my pictures, and it opens lots of possibilitis for "build threads" etc. OTOH it messes the thread up if the poster moves the pictures, or the link breaks for some reason. In my view, this is going to be the single most important difference between the new and old MIMF (if this is indeed how its going to be over here)
I second Arnt's comments about keeping the option for linking photos to external sites (like Photobucket) to allow bigger photos without using MIMF's storage/bandwidth. Also like the idea of having a section for "build threads" - even if the instrument isn't finished yet.

Brian.
Tim Douglass

Post by Tim Douglass »

Having the option to link photos is great (and was possible in old forum), but it does significantly reduce the value of the archives. Even as far out of date as the MIMF library got it was still a hugely valuable resource - and a lot of that value came from the embedded pictures.
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

Having used several different internet forums (most frequently the UKWorkshop one), one of the most useful features is being able to easily link to external images on, for example, Photobucket. I also agree that having a seperate Work-in-Progress sub-forum would be a very interesting addition.
Otherwise, loving the new look of the forum.

Cheers,
Adam
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

Charlie - I have another suggestion, but I am not sure how easy it would be to implement, as it doesnt have anything to do with the forum software.
I, and a few others I imagine, live in the UK and would like to support MIMF through online purchases as suggested through the banner ads from Amazon etc. Now, some of these retailers obviously dont have UK specific sites, but Amazon do - is there any way of having a .co.uk banner added? And there are other UK based luthiery/tool retailers that those over here would otherwise use.

Just a thought.
Cheers,.
Adam

Return to “Jam Session”