Looking for a school for luthiery

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.

Looking for a school for luthiery

Postby Eric Knapp » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Hello, my daughter is interested in luthiery and is looking for a school. She wants to learn to make violin family instruments. What schools are recommended?

Thanks,

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Re: Looking for a school for luthiery

Postby JC Whitney » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:22 pm

The North Bennet Street School in Boston has a three year full time violin family building/repair progrm.The school has been around since the late 1890s, and also offers a number of other programs including cabinetry, preservation woodworking, and a number of other things that I wish I could take a few years off to study. I can’t vouch for the program itself, I only know of their existence.
JC Whitney

Postby Eric Knapp » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:37 pm

JC Whitney wrote:The North Bennet Street School in Boston has a three year full time violin family building/repair progrm.The school has been around since the late 1890s, and also offers a number of other programs including cabinetry, preservation woodworking, and a number of other things that...

Thanks, that looks really interesting.

JC Whitney wrote:I wish I could take a few years off to study.

Me too!

JC Whitney wrote:I can’t vouch for the program itself, I only know of their existence.

I wonder if she'd mind if her dad signed up too. :D

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Postby Matthew Lau » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm

It'd be really interesting to hear from Al Carruth.
Matthew Lau

Return to Jam Session