StewMac tools

Seeking donations for a charity build

Registered members, you may place your commercial ads here (there are no longer any fees for this). The MIMF plans are here. And the occasional "help wanted".
Forum rules
Either ad may include your logo and a link to your website if you have one.

Seeking donations for a charity build

Postby Kurt Veltman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 am

Hi all. I have recently become involved with an organization that raises money to help find a cure for cystic fibrosis. As a respiratory therapist, and a bass builder, I decided I would like to build a custom bass to be auctioned off at one of their events. Knowing my schedule, I won't be able to get it done for this year's event, but I would at least like to have a good start on it so I might be able to show it at the event, and start to garner interest either for next year, or their next event. I am mainly looking for donations of hardware ie tuners, a bridge, pickups, a two-way truss rod, and strap locks. Other needs may arise as the build progresses, but these are the main things I am hoping to acquire at this time. If anyone is interested in helping me with this project by donating any of these items, it would be greatly appreciated.
Kurt Veltman

Re: Seeking donations for a charity build

Postby David King » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi Kurt,
Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the instrument you would like to build. I really like your idea and would gladly donate some wood knobs if they would fit into the general aesthetic you have in mind. I'd suggest you hold some of the body cut offs if you want the knobs to match.
David King

Postby Kurt Veltman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the offer David! I'll be sending you a pm. As for the design, I have some things in mind, but want to keep the specifics under wraps until it's done. I'll reveal what's needed on a need to know basis, at least for now. I'm thinking I want to keep the bridge and tuners chrome, for mass appeal, but wood knobs would be great. For now, the plan is for a simple hard maple neck and possibly cherry body. Maybe birds-eye for the neck and fretboard. I'll have to see what I have in the basement.
Kurt Veltman

Postby Kurt Veltman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:41 pm

So, how can I get more exposure for this project?
Kurt Veltman

Postby Kurt Veltman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:13 pm

David, one thing I will need, that could prove difficult to get donated, is a blue-green epoxy that appears to almost glow. So far I haven't been able to come up with a supplier, and haven't heard back from those I've contacted about it. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic of what I'm looking for.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133348838940089683/
Kurt Veltman

Postby David King » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:55 pm

It's either inlace or photo-luminescent powder. If you are just doing traditional inlays you can get sheets of the glow in the dark stuff from luminlay in Japan. Luminlay appears mostly white in daytime. Inlace is available in many colors including malachite. You can buy some photo-luminescent powder and add it to the inlace though I don't know how well that would work.
David King

Postby David King » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Set up a facebook page to promote what you are doing and post a link to it so folks here can "like" it. Add a Paypal "contribute" button to the FB page and post regular updates with specific asks. I had good luck asking larger commercial concerns for in-kind donations. Be sure to thank them at the end and send them photos they can use for their promotions.
David King

Postby Kurt Veltman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks for the ideas David! I know, it probably seems like I had fallen off the face of the earth. I apologize for not keeping up with this. I'm back now, and working on making significant progress on this project. I have the neck and body wings glued up, and am working on getting them connected.

If you are still willing to make some knobs, it would sure be appreciated. The top of the bass is curly maple, and the body has an accent stripe of walnut, which I think would make for nice knobs. Please let me know if this is still an option.

Thanks again for the ideas!
Kurt Veltman

Return to Builders' Supplies and Services