Hurdy Gurdy DOGS buzzing?

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Yaron Naor

Hurdy Gurdy DOGS buzzing?

Post by Yaron Naor »

Hi everyone
Any body knows hoe EXACTLY Huedy Gurdy DOGS are buzzing?

Thanks in advanced!
Yaron
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Huedy Gurdy DOGS buzzing?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Basically it makes the buzzing sound by bouncing the dog on the soundboard. Looking at the photo below, as the rosined wheel rotates up, it lifts the string (that fits in a small notch on the dog) just a little. That raises the left side of the dog just above the soundboard. Then the string slips and the dog slaps down on the soundboard and makes the sound. That happens repeatedly as the wheel is turned creating the buzz. The tuning peg, just visible on the right, adjusts the tension on the string and so affects the buzzing (softer/louder/frequency).

Hope that helps.
dog1.jpg
Yaron Naor

Post by Yaron Naor »

Charlie Schultz wrote:Basically it makes the buzzing sound by bouncing the dog on the soundboard. Looking at the photo below, as the rosined wheel rotates up, it lifts the string (that fits in a small notch on the dog) just a little. That raises the left side of the dog just above the soundboard. Then the string slips and the dog slaps down on the soundboard and makes the sound. That happens repeatedly as the wheel is turned creating the buzz. The tuning peg, just visible on the right, adjusts the tension on the string and so affects the buzzing (softer/louder/frequency).

Hope that helps.
dog1.jpg

Thanks a LOT for your help! now it is clearer
Do I have to put something on the wheel? or just maple wood and cotton?

Thanks
Yaron Naor
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Rosin is put on the wheel to provide some friction (for the same reason rosin is used on violin bows). The cotton is applied to the strings.
Yaron Naor

Post by Yaron Naor »

Charlie Schultz wrote:Rosin is put on the wheel to provide some friction (for the same reason rosin is used on violin bows). The cotton is applied to the strings.
Thanks, Last question if I may ask

The keys are going back to their places without a spring? only by the string pushing them back?
how can I know they will not touch the strings when I don't want them to?

Thanks a lot
Yaron
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

I suppose springs could be used, but the few I've seen and the one I built rely on gravity (the keys slide pretty easily).
Yaron Naor

Post by Yaron Naor »

Charlie Schultz wrote:I suppose springs could be used, but the few I've seen and the one I built rely on gravity (the keys slide pretty easily).
Thanks a lot
Yaron

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”