Finish for maple fingerboard

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Steve Marks

Finish for maple fingerboard

Post by Steve Marks »

I am using a maple fingerboard for the first time. What do people recommend for finish. I would like something that will minimize wear. I am not a big fan of worn finish, dirty fingerboards.
Greg Robinson

Re: Finish for maple fingerboard

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Steve,
If you want the ultimate in tough finishes, then that's polyester. It's the kind of stuff you need to take a chisel to, to do any damage. Unfortunately it does require specialized safety equipment (it's highly toxic until cured), and spraying it has a steep learning curve.

Many maple guitar necks finished with nitrocellulose lacquer have held up fine for decades though, and it is a relatively soft finish. Remember, the most important thing for protecting your finish is making sure you have clean hands before playing, and wiping down the strings and neck when finished. All the finger-grease and sweat break down into acidic compounds and the added grit from any particles of dirt are the main causes of wear.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
David King

Post by David King »

Steve,
If you don't have spray equipment you might want to check out a brushable, moisture-cured polyurethane. It's not the hardest finish but it's very tough and wear resistant once cured (about 2 weeks). The stuff I use is U-40 Permagloss which comes in one oz bottles (plenty for a fingerboard). You have to keep the lid on all the time or the stuff will gel in the bottle overnight. You want to use a nice sable artist's brush and clean it thoroughly after each coat. Once the stuff dries there is no going back. The stuff is definitely outdoor use only if you don't have ventilation. If you level sand to 500 grit between coats you can get the last coat to lay down perfectly and leave it at that. It is sprayable and that would be the better option if you already have the frets in.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Ah! Permagloss is a fishing rod overcoat! That is going to be very tough for sure (and flexible).
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
David King

Post by David King »

It's also exceptionally clear.
Steve Marks

Post by Steve Marks »

I do have spray equipment but don't like to use it except for what I can clean up with water. I am guessing that Permagloss does not fit into that category. Where can I find Permagloss?
David King

Post by David King »

I used to get mine from the mud hole though any fishing rod supply place will have it. Now I order it by the case directly from the company but I go through a lot of it. Cleanup is by Acetone or Xylol. It takes 5-10 coats and I recommend applying it as thinly as possible.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”