Pore filling on Granadillo

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
jorge rodriguez

Pore filling on Granadillo

Post by jorge rodriguez »

Hi all,

I am an amateur builder, I have finished a few instruments and I am about to finish another one. This is a flat top acoustic guitar with granadillo back and sides. I have never finished a guitar with this wood type, I will use nitro. I read somewhere that pore filling is not necessary for granadillo, but if I look I can see quite a lot of open pore in it.

Is pore filling necessary with granadillo? What is a good pore filler for this wood to use with nitro? I have used water based fillers, but they are messy... I have also used pumice as the classical builders do... but it's slow... suggestions needed.

Thanks in advance!!

Jorge
Barry Daniels

Re: Pore filling on Granadillo

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yes, pore filling is appropriate. Any of them will work. I have been using Aqua Coat clear Grain Filler lately and it is very easy and not messy like a lot of the other options. However, a couple of coats may be necessary. You can tint the clear filler with water based paint colors if you prefer. I use Universal Tint Colors (UTC) that you can get at many paint stores. I usually go with a dark chocolate brown color for most woods.
MIMF Staff
jorge rodriguez

Post by jorge rodriguez »

Thanks a lot, Barry! I will check that product.
Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson »

I've tried Aquacoat on Bocote and Narra (big pores), shellac sealer between coats, 5 coats and the pores still show. When I've used West Systems epoxy (2 to 3 coats w/wash coat) it filled Bocote and Narra smoothly. Just my experience.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”