Gibson "Worn" finish" recreation

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Kyle Pierce

Gibson "Worn" finish" recreation

Post by Kyle Pierce »

Howdy folks. I'm curious if anyone has had success recreating the Gibson "worn" finish, and if so, how they achieved it. I'm in the midst of a headstock repair on a Les Paul '50's Studio, and was wondering how to recreate this type of finish on the neck for final touchup. I own this guitar, (150.00!!) and so I'm willing to experiment a bit. I'm going to have to re-do the headstock veneer, (already have the fiberboard and waterslide decal) but basically the whole neck is going to need to be resprayed. Anyone who has ideas, I'd love to hear 'em. Got a few ideas but if someone has already had success, it might save me some heartache and time. Thanks all!
Alan Peterson

Re: Gibson "Worn" finish" recreation

Post by Alan Peterson »

Kyle Pierce wrote: I'm in the midst of a headstock repair on a Les Paul ...
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that... :D
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Kyle Pierce

Re: Gibson "Worn" finish" recreation

Post by Kyle Pierce »

I can appreciate that..this is my fifth in just over a months time. A Guild, a Les Paul Smartwood, a '73 LP Standard and a '73 SG. This one is actually voluntary. Sad, yet true. But tidying this one up and selling it will make for a lovely little turnaround profit. Like I say though, I've not yet had to touch up one of these worn finishes. Open grain, and looks weird to me. Practically looks like a Krylon job, and I'm used to doing things that look a bit more appealing than this.....
I'm assuming Gibson might be using a tinted satin lacquer of some sort? Again, anyone who's done it, info would be appreciated!

Return to “Glues and Finishes”