Lacquer spray painting process

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Jim Dewar

Lacquer spray painting process

Post by Jim Dewar »

Hi All
I’m having trouble finding the complete lacquer spray painting process.
(HVLP turbine, not spray cans.)
I know the 2K auto paint process which is; primer, then base (color), then clear.
What is the equivalent in lacquer?
I purchased Behlen’s vinyl sealer lacquer, stringed instrument lacquer and reducer.
Does the vinyl sealer act as the primer?
I also purchased color pigments for lacquer from StewMac.
Can I color the Behlen’s vinyl sealer?
Or, do I have to go; vinyl sealer, clear lacquer colored with pigment and then clear lacquer?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Jim
Jim Dewar

Re: Lacquer spray painting process

Post by Jim Dewar »

On second thought, I guess coloring the vinyl sealer is a mute point since if the vinyl sealer also acts as my primer/filler then I will be level sanding it. I don’t want to level sand my color coats.
So would it be correct to apply the vinyl sealer first, level sand it, then color my Behlen’s stringed instrument lacquer and apply that as my color coat, and then apply that same lacquer as clear for my final coat?
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_R ... edule.html

Is a complete finishing schedule for Behlen's nitrocellulose lacquer.
Glenn Cummings

Post by Glenn Cummings »

Brian... thank you for the key words. The lacquer one desires is much harder to find due to a 'fear' of VOC's
Smaller, local hardware stores are more likely to stock it than Lowes or Home Depot.
The older nitrocellulose lacquer is the only way to go.

Find a safe way to keep out of the over-spray, fumes, vapor and lions and tigers and bears oh my.
I would say that I follow the same schedule with my own shortcuts. (furniture, cabinets, etc)
If I had a nice piece of wood.. I might do the maximum number of coats.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”