Aqua Coat Grain Filler

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
John Clifford

Aqua Coat Grain Filler

Post by John Clifford »

I know there was a short thread on this back in 2012, but I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had success with this product. I really want to like it, but after several tries, I'm just frustrated with it. Yes, it does eventually sort of fill the grain, but I have to put on like 10 coats with light sanding in between to get anywhere. It ends up being more work than the old pumice, shellac and wood dust method (which is a lot of work). Am I doing something wrong? If it works for you, what are you doing?

Thanks.
Bob Gramann

Re: Aqua Coat Grain Filler

Post by Bob Gramann »

I’ve tried it a few times. I end up going back to pumice each time.
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

I've tried it and had similar experiences. Gork's GoodFilla is pretty much the only grain filler I ever use anymore these days, and they now offer a clear.
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Paul, tell me about the Gork's GoodFilla. How many coats does it take you to fill a medium grain wood like mahogany or sapelle? Does it sand well?
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

My application process starts with a wash coat of whatever type you're using, then one of the Gork's opaque grain fillers, wipe the excess off with a damp paper towel, then another wash coat (a little heavier this time), then the clear grain filler, wipe again, then sealer until it's level. So even though the Gork's sands very easily, I never actually do that. Unless it's been too long for my wash coat to bond with the next coat without a scuff.

The clear Gork's is great but is only really useful for shallow grain. It goes on white and if too much of it is packed into a deep pore, it stays white instead of turning clear when you apply finish over it.
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Thanks Paul.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”