StewMac tools

Meguiar's 105

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.

Meguiar's 105

Postby Steve Sawyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 am

We got a string of cool, dry days here, and I was able to get the clear-coat done, and am now just waiting for the nitro to cure completely before going to the next step. My plan after sanding is to polish using Meguiar's 105 mirror-glaze, but I'm uncertain what grade this abrasive is compared to sandpaper. I don't want to sand (possibly using micro-mesh) to a level that is finer than the 105, which would be kinda like spitting into the wind.

Thanks.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Re: Meguiar's 105

Postby Barry Daniels » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:32 am

I love 105. It is considered to be quite aggressive, yet it will quickly break down and give a good gloss. You can probably polish out 800 grit sanding scratches with it, but I sand quite a bit further. In fact, I will go up to 2000 or even 4000 before polishing. Then you will get to gloss quickly and more completely. You may want to do a final polish with swirl remover if the 105 does not get to the level of gloss you require. Meguiars 205 would be a good candidate for the final polish, but there are many others.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Re: Meguiar's 105

Postby Steve Sawyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks, Barry. That's good info.

I was planning on following up the 105 with the swirl remover.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Return to Glues and Finishes