Advice needed: what top coat to go with?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Scott Freeman

Advice needed: what top coat to go with?

Post by Scott Freeman »

I just used a roughing up technique and a couple of different wood dyes to make my most recent body look like rustic barn wood. I'm so happy with it -- I wish I could keep it just as it is, but it obviously needs protection.

I'm wondering what you think would be the best top coat to retain the flat, rustic look yet still provide protection?

Now, in the past I've used Formby's Tung Oil (which I realize is a wiping varnish with little to no tung oil) for a natural finish and high gloss nitro lacquer for a painted finish. The wiping varnish didn't seem to offer enough protection (although perhaps only ~14 coats wasn't sufficient), and the high gloss nitro would be totally inappropriate for this purpose.

Do you think something like 20+ coats of Tru Oil do the trick? What about a combo of a wiping varnish like Tru Oil and a flat nitro or just a flat nitro alone? Is there any room for a poly finish (I've never worked with one). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Barry Daniels

Re: Advice needed: what top coat to go with?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Try Oil should work fine. You probably don't need 20 coats. Just keep applying until you get the look you like.
MIMF Staff
Scott Freeman

Re: Advice needed: what top coat to go with?

Post by Scott Freeman »

Thank you!

Return to “Glues and Finishes”