Wax for French polish

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Craig Bumgarner

Wax for French polish

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

I don't usually wax my French polished guitars but I am taking a guitar to a festival next week that will only have eight days of curing on the FP finish. I know, don't! But I must. The guitar will be handled by lots of sweaty guitarists. I've kept the shellac thin, with plenty of drying between sessions. It is pretty hard already, but perspiration is persistent. Is there a wax that might slow down the perspiration penetration? Was thinking of using a carnuba or butchers wax in the areas most susceptible. Any experience with this?
Bob Orr

Re: Wax for French polish

Post by Bob Orr »

I have used microcrystaline wax on a Tru Oil finished guitar with some success. I like it because it dries quickly, is non sticky and does not leave fingerprints or handling marks on the guitar.
Bob
Craig Bumgarner

Thanks, I'll try it.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I use a carnauba based, floor, paste wax called Tre-Wax on anything that needs it. I am still on my first can that I bought 40 years ago.
MIMF Staff
Waddy Thomson

Post by Waddy Thomson »

Tre-Wax works just great. I just used it on a Royal-Lac finished guitar that I bkuffed off with 0000 steel wool and then waxed. Makes for a nice soft gloss.
Craig Bumgarner

TreWax sounds good too, thanks.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”