Hot hide glue for binding repair

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Greg Martin

Hot hide glue for binding repair

Post by Greg Martin »

I may have asked this but do not remember the answers. I built a lp clone in 2002 and used stewmac iviord creme bingings and their duco cement. I noticed a 3 inch section in the cutaway area has come loose.ive been going back and forth wondering which method and which glue would be best. I dont use super glues though.
The guitar is a goldtop so the method cant involve any sanding and filing,i cant chance touching the gold metal finish. Ive seen stewmac has their new binding glue but i wonder if it will work around the duco cement?? If i scrape the old glue will it nest back into posistion when reglued? I dont know.i have some lmi hot hide glue what do you think about using it?
Mark Day

Re: Hot hide glue for binding repair

Post by Mark Day »

I'm not an expert on this material, but I think if it were me, I would order some more of the same binding and experiment with gluing it using different glues before I touch the instrument, just to be safe.
Todd Stock

Post by Todd Stock »

Sure the binding material was ivoroid? LP binding seems to be ABS or ABS/PVC alloy, which can glue poorly with Duco. Titebond is the common answer here, but after seeing repairs fail within a year or two of repair, I use CA Gold low odor and wick it in, then wipe off excess. Unless there is no topcoat on the gold, you should be able to get a light sanding and lacquer touch-up without getting into the gold.
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

Well i fixed my loose binding.After much reading and thought i went with hot hide glue. The binding was stewmac s from 2002 they called it iviord.i washed the loose binding with acetone,let it dry and lightly heated it with a hot air gun,just before applying the hot glue and taping it in place.i used warm water later on to clean off the excess hide glue. There was a chip missing ,so i melted some binding shavings in acetone ,when melted, i dabbed some on let it dry and scraped it flush.i applied amber shellac and lacqure. It matched really well and im pretty pleased with the hot hide glue.i like hot fast it sets.ill probably start using it more on repairs instead of CA glue.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”